Want to upgrade lights on 2017 Street glide special

alixc83

Dec 21, 2016
I just bought brand new 2017. Paid enough that I dont want to buy harley davidson branded stuff to upgrade lights and turn signal and all.
I am first time owner and always wanted to have bike and work on it.
But dont know where to start. I thought installed LED turn signal would be nice and good start.

I am looking for any guidance that I can get. I am in atlanta area so anyone in this area planning to ride. please do include me.

As I am first time harley owner but I have been riding two wheelers since age of 13. I am pretty experience when it comes to riding.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.
thanks

alixc83- Here's what I did on my 2017 SGS:
Custom Dynamics LED's on all four signal lights, Custom Dynamics 8 inch Plasma Rods in red. HD Day Maker headlight and Tri-Bar Brake/Turn light.
You can buy a LED headlight now cheaper than the HD OEM unit but I had this one already. My friend put on the OEM Bag lights on his 2017 SGS instead of the Plasma Rods. :cool:

alixc83- Here's what I did on my 2017 SGS:
Custom Dynamics LED's on all four signal lights, Custom Dynamics 8 inch Plasma Rods in red. HD Day Maker headlight and Tri-Bar Brake/Turn light.
You can buy a LED headlight now cheaper than the HD OEM unit but I had this one already. My friend put on the OEM Bag lights on his 2017 SGS instead of the Plasma Rods. :cool:

Its first time ever I am messing with bike and its electrical system. do you learned by hit and tried or you got some knowledge from someone. I want to start with turn signals. Do you recommend any particular led light or website that sell them ?

First thing I did to my 17 sgs was LED signals, brake lights, and headlight. Bought straight from custom dynamics website. Got dynamic ringz for from and dynamic clusters for rear. Price is kinda high but lifetime warranty so can't go wrong. I bought my headlight from eagle lights, brightness is crazy!

Attachments

• 20161013_190329.jpg
    20161013_190329.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
I did Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods, Dynamic Rings, LED tail lights and Daymaker. Thanks to TomA for the Plasma Rod Brackets!

I just went all LED's also and love it. I used the Custom Dynamics LED turn signal ring kit which I got through my Harley dealer at a great price on a special they were running. So that handled the front and rear turn signals and was a super easy swap out. The front turn signal lights are white when you are running and then they turn amber when you engage the turn signal switches. Was less than $200 for the kit.

Next I put on an Eagle Lights 8700 LED Daymaker headlight for $160 that has a "halo" ring around the perimeter of it and it looks phenomenal, throws a TON of light, and matches the color of the LED turn signals perfectly at 6K brightness or "heat signature". That's all that this bike needs. I like it simple and rather ominous looking which it is as the lights are covered with a smoke lens when the bike is off you can barely see them. It's a solid setup. I'm happy.

Custom Dynamics.
If you have never worked on your bike I would recommend you visually go through the process in your mind before you start an install and watch youtube DIY videos or Forum blogs and make sure you know what you are doing before you start. ( 1st purchase I make after bike is shop manual). Many ways to do expensive damage if you don't plan what you are doing.
Hope this helps with the 2nd part of your question. Don't fly blind.

Thanks a lot Every for reply. I really appreciate you taking time to help. It seem Customdynamic is the way to go, since almost all of you did upgrade thru them. I am pretty sure I cant go wrong either.
I do have seen there video they are pretty good.

At the recommendation of many on this forum I upgraded my turn signals with Custom Dynamics and head lamp with JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2.

I'm really happy with those choices.

At the recommendation of many on this forum I upgraded my turn signals with Custom Dynamics and head lamp with JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2.

I'm really happy with those choices.
Good choices

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I did Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods, Dynamic Rings, LED tail lights and Daymaker. Thanks to TomA for the Plasma Rod Brackets!

Got any info on the brackets for the plasma rods?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used Custom Dynamics led clusters both front and rear with smoked lens'. A Hogworkz led headlight from Dennis Kirk finished it off for half the price.
Looks great all around.

First thing I did to my 17 sgs was LED signals, brake lights, and headlight. Bought straight from custom dynamics website. Got dynamic ringz for from and dynamic clusters for rear. Price is kinda high but lifetime warranty so can't go wrong. I bought my headlight from eagle lights, brightness is crazy!

Quik, does your eagle lights headlight beam look like stair steps pattern on the ground? I have the 8700 gen2 from eagle lights....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed the gen 2 on my 17sgs and yes same thing you stated, also with high beam there is a square focal point in center brighter than on the side. Also noticed the lens has a lot of internal what looks like scratches

Got any info on the brackets for the plasma rods?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John- I think these are out of production now. Don't fret, you'll be just fine without them. The double stick tape works great and has withstood the test of time (weather proof). Attach them to the fender filler lip NOT the bags.

I just installed the gen 2 on my 17sgs and yes same thing you stated, also with high beam there is a square focal point in center brighter than on the side. Also noticed the lens has a lot of internal what looks like scratches

My Eagle lights Gen 2 also has these scratches all over the internal lenses. Only see it when the lights on at night. Luckily I dont have the static on the radio others have mentioned with this light but then I added two RF coils on the wire and wrapped it on one of them.

I think people need to quit suggesting this light on this site. It seems like everyone is getting a better deal with either the JW Speaker or the Hog workz. No reason to suggest this light for all its defects. I wouldnt even had known about the Eagle lights until I read this site. I think this forum owes me the 20 cents or whatever the hell I paid for this cheap azz light...lmao
Just kidding...soon as I feel like spending more money I will probably UPGRADE to the Hog Workz and toss this Eagle craps in the dumpster.

I'm a Custom Dynamics poster child too. Dynamic Ringz, plasma rods, LED tail lights and bag lights. All are easy install and if anything goes wrong Custom Dynamics warranties all their lights for life.

I'm a Custom Dynamics poster child too. Dynamic Ringz, plasma rods, LED tail lights and bag lights. All are easy install and if anything goes wrong Custom Dynamics warranties all their lights for life.

LOL:cool: Ditto!

Hey thanks everyone. I was trying to figure out if the Custome Dynamics LED was a good product. With all the positive feedback here it looks like I will be looking into getting some of those installed. Again thanks a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469