Warranty cancel doing recall aftermarket pipes

17Blackglide

May 23, 2017
I have aftermarket slip ons and need to take my bike in for the clutch recall. I heard the dealer would cancel ur warranty for aftermarket pipes. I also have an extended warranty. Wondering if I should put the stock pipes back on before taking it in. What a pita.

I have taken mine in a few times and they haven’t said anything about my aftermarket pipes.
They should be focused on your clutch recall anyway.

The aftermarket pipes should have no bearing what-so-ever on your clutch recall. It's a recall. IF for some reason your pipes are more time consuming to remove/loosen than the stock units they may charge you extra for that...

When it comes to mods and what can void your warranty, there is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Which basically states the dealership has to prove the mod has caused the problem you are experience necessitating repair. For example you put open pipes on your bike and don't tune the air/fuel mixture and you burn your valves, they would have to prove the lack of tuning caused the issue. Now it may not be as easy as it sounds. A lot of dealers will put up a fight and it can take months to resolve.

I have aftermarket slip ons and need to take my bike in for the clutch recall. I heard the dealer would cancel ur warranty for aftermarket pipes. I also have an extended warranty. Wondering if I should put the stock pipes back on before taking it in. What a pita.

I wouldn't. I set my recall appointment up and told I wanted to do an oil change, and put V&H Power Dual on it while it was there. Never a word about warranty. I've also taken it in with an aftermarket tuner on-board as well. FP3. Having a friendly relationship doesn't hurt.

Warranty cancel doing recall aftermarket pipes

I have after market slip ons and tuner on mine and they did the clutch recall no problem, no questions. Also my dealer is in the process of trying to fix my tranny due to it transferring oil into the primary. Again no problem, no questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My tuner is V&H FP3 and the warranty is not being questioned by my dealer. I guess I got a good dealer..

I asked a guy at my dealer and he said hd doesn't care about slip ons. It's headers without cats that will cause a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I asked a guy at my dealer and he said hd doesn't care about slip ons. It's headers without cats that will cause a problem.

Yep, that’s what my dealer told me when I bought the bike.

I just had the recall done and was given no problem about my pipes.

I agree with Surfsup. I want to rip out my cats but am waiting until Warranty is done.

Just got my bike back on Saturday. They picked it from my house on the 5th. The weather has been so bad here they couldn't find a weather window long enough to get it back to me sooner. Enough with that...

I had the clutch recall done, an oil change, and a V&H Power Dual head pipe installed. I told the service manager I had already installed the correct map per V&H suggestion for the pipe change on my FP3. He said...great. YMMV...

I recently spoke with my dealer about adding the FP3 and was immediately told it would void my warranty.

Some dealers are just that way I suppose. Was it your first motorcycle purchase from them? They're certainly missing out on a lot of aftermarket business with this practice.

I got the recall done and they did not mention my pipes so I’m good to go.

While I was there I test rode a 2019 Triglide. It was nice and I would liked to have had, but not at $41k

Last edited:

I have cats removed, a tuner and V&H’s and a few other mods and no issues....AND I live in California.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77