What size is working for what height?

I ordered from Freedom Shields. They start at 5" and go up in 1" increments. I cut cardboard on a radius and marked at 1" intervals and taped to my existing shield. There was no guessing as to the height that I would be able to see over without obstruction. I ordered the 8" and am waiting for delivery.
When it arrives simply attach and ride to make sure this fits. As long as the protective coating is not removed it can be returned if you need a shorter or taller shield.

I have a Freedom Shield also. I tried the tallest ClearView and it was too short. The Freedom Shield is very well made and is a little thicker. This made a noticeable stiffness difference in the 14" tall shield I needed with the Police Seat and my 6' 3" height.

Hello, I am 5' 9" and use LRS 8" tinted. Any higher and I would not see enough over the screen.

Last edited:
I'm 5'7 and use the 5" Freedom shield, works great. The only buffeting felt is coming from below the fairing and works its way up to the helmet, but I don't feel that until 60+ mph.

With the stock windshield on my '16 SGS I couldn't go above 70 without the head buffeting rattling me around so hard it felt like my vision was cutting in and out. Within the first 100 miles I went to the local aftermarket shop and tried the 6.5" and 8.5" Klock Werks Flare windshields.

I'm 5'10, and the 6.5" did a sufficient job of throwing the air over my head when in the normal riding position, and looked best on the bike. But I ride long distances on the weekends, and when I stretched my back totally upright when riding my head would be back in the buffet zone. I'm more of a function over aesthetics kind of guy, and figuring that I may one day get an aftermarket seat that raised me up a bit, I went with the 8.5" shield.

I hear the radio better, I can see over it perfectly with the stock seat, it still looks pretty sharp, and it throws the turbulent air clear over my head so I can ride at any speed in comfort. The only thing of note, is that it does tend to rattle just a bit when starting to move from a stop when the bike experiences the most vibration. Since it's only every so often, and often inaudible if my radio is turned up, I don't mind as the pros far outweigh that nitpick of a con. That being said, if I ever have to replace it, I'll try to put a super thin rubber strip on the front and back of the base to try and prevent that rattle.

I just installed the 8.5 Klock Werks on my new 2016 Street Glide. I'm 5-10 and sit up pretty straight. With stock windshield I couldn't stand the bobble head ride, I think it was worse than my old wide glide without a windshield at all. I ordered the 8.5 and when I installed it thought it was too high, not so. When riding, I stretched up just an inch or so and got the wind right in the face. With the 6.5 I am pretty sure it would not have done the job. What a difference.

I'm considering getting a KW 8.5" for my 16' SGS the stocker is horrible and does nothing for blocking wind! So my question is i'm 6' tall 32" inseam stock seat for now will i be able to look over the shield? I just think the 6.5" may be too short and will the 8.5" help the pass. any?

Get the 8.5, I did and took it on a fast ride on the freeway today. You definitely will be able to look over the top. With the stock windshield, it was worse than nothing at all in front, thought I made a mistake getting this bike. Installed the Klock Werks 8.5 yesterday and the bobble head and wind ripping off you glasses will be solved....night and day difference.

Thanks for the input and yes it seemed like riding a bike with no shield was better that the SG it was harsh!

I'm lucky to have 3 HD dealers near me so I tryed the klockworks and the slipstream back to back at the same dealer , the klockworks was the 6 1/2 and the slipstream was 7" , and lucky for me again , the wind is blowing at a good pace . I'm 6 2" and I found the slipstream worked better for me so I bought it . Just my .02 worth

I'm 5'7 and use the 5" Freedom shield, works great. The only buffeting felt is coming from below the fairing and works its way up to the helmet, but I don't feel that until 60+ mph.
Hello there! I just joined this site about a week or so ago; most informative! So much to learn!!! I just wanted to say that I recently purchased the 5'' Freedom Shield based off this review and a few others. I, too, am 5'7''. It's going straight back and I'm going to speak with them on the phone on Monday, but I believe I need at least the 7'' shield. There was no difference with this 5'' shield; which makes sense because it's the same size as the stock shield. I'm guessing you don't have the stock seat on your bike, or perhaps you've altered your seat in some way??? (Or, maybe I just have a long torso?) So many factors to consider! I stuck cardboard measurements on the old shield and think I measure out around the 7'', but it's so hard to tell when you're sitting in the seat and trying to figure out where you're actually looking most of the time. According to Freedom Shields website, you want the shield to be around the same height as the tip of your nose. This should allow you to always look over the shield, but yet have the wind going over the top of your head. All I know at the moment is that this stock shield is garbage and Harley should be ashamed of themselves for putting it on the bike in the 1st place. The way my head is getting knocked around is ridiculous! I can't hear the radio with the wind whipping through my ears, not to mention it's knocking my glasses clear off my face! Ya can forget about even wearing a helmet, because that's even worse! I haven't sold my 2003 Road King yet, so I'll continue to ride my King until this problem is solved. I'll report back when I get my 2nd shield and let everyone know what works for me in hopes it'll help someone else make their decision.

I am running a 7. 6' tall. Not a stock seat 1.5" down and back still get a little buffeting from the wind but get less wind noise. Send him an email with height and inseam he will help size it, was recommended more but still wanted the streamlined look, so it is better then stock.

2015 Street Glide Special

I'm 6' and the 10" Wind Splitter works best for me. I have a 7" also, but the 10" is noticeably more comfortable.

I just installed a Klock Werks 6.5" dark tint shield on my 16 SGS. The wind now seems to mostly hit me in my hair not in my glasses. So far, I have only tested it at 70 mph for 30 seconds or so. Closing the vent on the fairing seems to increase buffering, even with the stock shield, so I ride with it open all the time.

If you get the right shield and still get buffeting I suggest the fork fangs or fork wind deflectors. That's what made all the difference for me.

If you get the right shield and still get buffeting I suggest the fork fangs or fork wind deflectors. That's what made all the difference for me.

Yep...the windshield made Some difference, but not much. Fork fangs did the trick.

5" 10" 32" inseam - 15 SGS - I originally got the LRS 9" - could not see over the top unless I was sitting straight up - other wise I was looking at the edge of the windshield my whole ride - kind of distracting. I then got a 7" LRS I really like it - I can see over the top of the windshield comfortably. Buffeting is noticeably reduced over stock.

I'm 5' 7 and I'm looking for a harley davidson windshield 7" for my 2016 SG, will that work for me? Thanks.

I'm 6'1" and using a 8.5" Klock Werks Flare screen ....... Bike is now solid and planted.
Even in high winds it's fantastic - and we have big winds here in Scotland lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At 6-1 myself I rode with the 8.5 for a test ride and it was worse then the stock shield but that's just my opinion. Felt like someone was sitting behind me slapping my head back and fourth. could be your shorter in the torso then me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77