Which wind deflector?

Ballistic

Jan 12, 2016
My issue is the up draft coming from the sides of the gas tank. Which wind deflectors are you guys using to get rid of this? Fork, Mid-frame, fairing or lowers ? It's not an issue when its warm out but when it's cold (below 32 degrees) it makes it a little uncomfortable.

For those of you that are using any of the above deflectors, can you explain their purpose and what they actually do in terms of deflection.

Thanks fellas,
Chad

2016 SGS

Last edited:
I've been looking to do something about that same draft, which causes the slight buffeting I still experience after switching to a Klock Werks Flare windshield.

From my digging around the forums, most guys are going with Harley brand fork fangs. They only come in chrome, and the Harley site says they won't fit Rushmore FLHX/S's, but they can be powedercoated black if need be, and by making sure the curve of the fangs extend toward the front of the bike, they will in fact fit new models. If you search for 'fork fangs' here you'll find a bunch of info on them.

I've been looking to do something about that same draft, which causes the slight buffeting I still experience after switching to a Klock Werks Flare windshield.

From my digging around the forums, most guys are going with Harley brand fork fangs. They only come in chrome, and the Harley site says they won't fit Rushmore FLHX/S's, but they can be powedercoated black if need be, and by making sure the curve of the fangs extend toward the front of the bike, they will in fact fit new models. If you search for 'fork fangs' here you'll find a bunch of info on them.
They fit the Rushmore Street Glide and makes a HUGE improvement in wind buffeting.

I put on the HD adjustable wind deflectors that mount on the lower side of the fairing. Plus a deflector that mounts under, by the forks. Made a huge improvement. I'm sure the fangs do a great job. But I'm putting flush mount led turn signals on, so they would have looked goofy.

For cold weather riding, the HD fork wind deflectors greatly reduce the cold air that hits from your waist to your neck. When temps get to 80 and above you'll probably want the adjustable HD fairing wind deflectors to add back some air for cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys,
I'm going to look into the fork deflectors, I'm also going to fab a triple tree deflector and see how that works. The fairing deflectors will come a little later when it warms up enough to where I need the wind to cool off.

Thanks again,
Chad

I'm with Iron Horse....I use the adjustable deflectors mounted to the fairing and the fork deflector...makes all the difference in the world.

I'm with Iron Horse....I use the adjustable deflectors mounted to the fairing and the fork deflector...makes all the difference in the world.

Ditto! I found that out 2 years ago and a recurved windshield helps too!

I found the perfect mix for me was, freedom wings for the fairing, Harley fangs I plastic dipped in black, lower triple tree deflector with a 8.5 klock works flare windshield.If it drops below 40 I use soft lowers. All of this keeps all the wind away and I use the freedom wings for air management while I ride

I installed installed the adjustable deflectors on the lower fairing. Along with my freedom shield they made all the difference.. And since we really only have 3 days of what you'd call winter.. The A/C when needed is a must.. I get zero head buffeting and can light a cig with a zippo under way.. Really.. I only smoke when fueling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't have the Harley part# but they are in the shop
a10a567b1380a4e7a8dfb931ec56c581.jpg
c6d7d7e2a48cdff5d900e8d4503c070e.jpg
1e4622167014134854dae56f05d9b711.jpg
c9daf6c2ce2d0f906578fe840e6cfab2.jpg

Sorry the light isn't great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My issue is the up draft coming from the sides of the gas tank. Which wind deflectors are you guys using to get rid of this? Fork, Mid-frame, fairing or lowers ? It's not an issue when its warm out but when it's cold (below 32 degrees) it makes it a little uncomfortable.

For those of you that are using any of the above deflectors, can you explain their purpose and what they actually do in terms of deflection.

Thanks fellas,
Chad

2016 SGS

I put the fork wind deflectors 1st and the adjustable fairing lowers 2nd as well, have also tried a few windshields, currently LRS recurve wide 10 inch. It is much better now than with the stock windshield, but there is still some issues. It is not as bad when my feet are on the boards but when I use the highway pegs it is more noticeable. So it is coming from below. Most hits me on the side of the head, much worse before the mods felt like someone was slapping me in the ears with the stock shield and hard to keep glasses on and nothing else.

The next thing I will try is to move the highway pegs a little higher, I may have mounted them a little low, worried about ground clearance on tight turns. My LRS 10 inch is medium tint but may be a little to dark at night, time will tell. I went from an 8 inch to 10 probably should have tried a 9 inch recurve.

I use a skull cap now and may go to a 3/4 helmet and reduce the windshield size?
Also all this is not bad for shorter rides at variable speeds but wears on me after highway speed for more than 45 min

A lot to play with and figure out. Good Luck

NewRider- Even with all the deflector add ons you'll always "disturb wind flow" by moving into different positions on your bike. As an example, I notice different wind flow /Drag when I have a Tour Pack attached to my Street Glide.

Has the fairing changed from 15 to 16? I have been looking for the kuryakyn dragon wings air defectors but there is nothing listed for a 16. Would years 14 & 15 parts fit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith