Yet Another Oil Change Question

FLHX4Me

Jun 15, 2015
OK...here's the deal. I changed my oil and filter last October just before I put my bike away. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w 50. My work requires me to travel, so I'm GONE somewhere away from home M-F, and then having to relocate from Ohio to Nebraska for a job promotion, I rode my bike less than 1,000 miles this year. Would you STILL change the oil before putting the bike away, or would you just ride it another season and change it next fall. Like I said, because of work, even next fall I probably still won't have 4,000 miles on the oil after two years. I just hate to throw away $40 worth of oil when it has less than 1,000 miles on it. Seems such a needless thing to do. If Mobil ! is supposed to be that good (and I believe it is, that's why I use it) can't it go two seasons and be OK? Welcome your thoughts......

As I said, the oil will have less than 1200 miles on it, and looks like it just came out of the bottle, but it WILL be almost two years old by this time next year. I'm leaning towards just letting it go another season. Thanks, one and all.

I have a few friends that are into cars. You know, the classic '60's hot rod stuff. One owns a '67 Camaro. One has a '69 Dodge Super Bee. Engines are built STRONG. They probably have $30-40,000 in those cars. Seriously, the classic car world is crazy! They drive them "maybe" 100 miles per year. Just to car shows and things like that. Anyway, they run a good synthetic oil, and tell me they don't change it for 2-3 years, and they baby these cars to death. So, if they feel comfortable going that long, I do too. With only 1200 miles on my oil change, and even though it's been a year, I'm leaving mine in for another season.

Oils are better today than they used to be. Synthetics can withstand more temperature cycles and extremes and maintain their ability to lubricate. I run Amzoil in my Vrod and Glide. Mainly because I get a good deal on Amzoil from a local distributor. Mobil is an excellent oil as well and I would probably run it in my Glide but I get Amzoil about $2.50 cheaper per quart and it's easier to just keep one oil on the shelf. First winter with new oil, it still looked good from previous change. I chose to change it anyway because to me, $50 isn't a break the bank deal to keep the oil fresh. One thing I would consider is changing the filter.
Some filters go into bypass earlier than others. What this essentially means is, you are no longer filtering your oil. Even top oils need to be filtered to do their job effectively.
Just my two cents worth.

Glad I decided NOT to change my oil this fall. Here is the UOA from a friend of mine who has run this oil, Mobil One V-Twin 20w 50, for two years already and now plans on running it a couple thousand miles more. Oil is still fine...f4e9f7797ed04794f5d12b4906c8cb2c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107