2016 SGS slip on's vs full Rush vs V&H

NewRider

Nov 24, 2015
Overall is the sound and performance of a stage 1 header, muffler, tuner, air kit and dyno a big improvement over a slip on ? basically $500 vs $2000-2500 difference between slip on and full. I started out just wanting better sound but thought if I could get sound and performance with less heat it would be a bonus, but the price difference is pretty large.

I am looking to upgrade the exhaust, I like the sound of the Rush Big Loui's. The ceramic header pipes were also a plus. I went to the dealer and he recommended a complete exhaust. V&H or Rinehart depending on the sound. He said the Rush was OK quality wise, middle of the road. His recommendation was VH pro headers, HO mufflers, air kit SE Tuner and dyno. I was thinking Pro pipes with Monster rounds. All information I found on the HO's referenced a built motor. He said they can make up for that on the 103 HO with the dyno tune.

I talked to a customer with that setup on a 15 SGS and it sounded good, loud but deeper that real loud. He said he did not notice low end performance degradation, but at 3.5-4K the pipes get loud and recommended a speaker upgrade, was happy with the system has been running it for a year. He said it gets loud when run hard and he runs hard often.

The Rush was cheaper than the V&H, dealer said the price was direct reflection of quality differences. All prices for V&H were full retail total system with dyno was $2,400. I know the dealer needs to make money but will not install parts I order from other sources, quality control issue.

Any experiences with Rush vs V&H and slip on vs full exhaust is greatly appreciated.

NewRider- See my signature below. It made a big difference for my engine without adding cams or opening up the motor. Basically I wanted less heat on my leg. So I went with Catless headers. I wanted bigger exhaust sound so I went with aftermarket pipes. I wanted more performance so I went with a tuner and Dyno. If I were doing another bike? I would do the same EXCEPT forego the airbox & tuner from HD and go with a V&H FP3 w/Autotune. I have basically a full stage one since I also added the SE Airbox & filter although I'm not convinced it's necessary or adds much on the Rushmore 103. What I spent was a good investment but the newer tuners can save you a bunch especially since they can take the place of a Dyno and tuner. My comments are just one opinion. You'll get a thousand different ways to answer your question on the forums. The Rush quality is every bit as good as V&H, don't let anyone fool you there. One last note I purchased ALL the add-ons from my selling dealer, they installed them and they warranted them as well.
In the end it boils down to 2 things: The size of your wallet and personal preferences! Do what feels right to you!! Good Luck!

Well if your trying to save a buck for more mods get what you want then install it your self. Exhaust is easy to install and you save a bunch. Look at the FP3 from V&H and you don't need the dyno tune. I have the monster round twin slash with power dual head pipe and the screaming eagle stage 1 A/C. Installed the FP3 after installing the head pipe and she runs pretty good after a long auto tune. The dealer will always try and get you to dyno it because it's 250 to 300 or more just to pull it on the machine then when you pass the allotted time it's by the hour.

Just my 2 cents

Take your $2400 and go to Fuel Moto, parts are easy to install, they have the best tech support for life and you'll save money plus be very happy!

Call them talk about what you want they will set you up...

Just an example

Selection_001.jpg

I have the Rush slip ons with stock pipes, they sound great. they have been installed for about 14 months now, no issues, no rust, no bluing. The FP3 installed 8 months ago, great product, great performance. Arlen Ness Inverted big sucker air intake/filter installed 6 months ago, looks great, sounds great, improved performance.
There are no shortages of discussions on exhaust systems, I will replace my current exhaust system for a 2 into 1 system, my opinion it is a better performance system and that's what I am looking for. The FP3 is very user friendly and supports changes to a variety of set ups, to include cam upgrades without requiring a dyno run. Beware, new slip ons alone without a tuner upgrade, will cause some annoying decel popping and back fire between shifts, atleast in my experiences. I would recommend to do both upgrades regardless of the brands you choose.

Thanks for the replies and feedback everyone. Trying to keep the budget inline and that's why I'm only going with slip on mufflers at this time and a stage one with a download. I'm not looking at a full exhaust at this time. Really looking at a better and a little louder rumble w/o giving up performance of the HO 103.

NewRider- See my signature below. It made a big difference for my engine without adding cams or opening up the motor. Basically I wanted less heat on my leg. So I went with Catless headers. I wanted bigger exhaust sound so I went with aftermarket pipes. I wanted more performance so I went with a tuner and Dyno. If I were doing another bike? I would do the same EXCEPT forego the airbox & tuner from HD and go with a V&H FP3 w/Autotune. I have basically a full stage one since I also added the SE Airbox & filter although I'm not convinced it's necessary or adds much on the Rushmore 103. What I spent was a good investment but the newer tuners can save you a bunch especially since they can take the place of a Dyno and tuner. My comments are just one opinion. You'll get a thousand different ways to answer your question on the forums. The Rush quality is every bit as good as V&H, don't let anyone fool you there. One last note I purchased ALL the add-ons from my selling dealer, they installed them and they warranted them as well.
In the end it boils down to 2 things: The size of your wallet and personal preferences! Do what feels right to you!! Good Luck!

Thanks for the feed back from all. Mojo, sounds like the setup on your bike is what I plan to do to mine, almost the same color too.

I am 99% sure I am going with the Rush True Duals- Big Louie,tuner.... I have decided to wait and get a better listen just to be sure. I plan to research tuners some more to get a better understanding. I have heard some differences from dealers on tuners they uses as well as dyno, so I want to make sure I understand where the BS line is. The last time I added performnce mods to bikes it was headers and jet kits, things have changed since then.

Thanks Again

NewRider- I forgot to mention a very important fact about my setup. My True Duals are not only Catless but are Ceramic coated inside and out. Results, no heat buildup whatsoever.

Lastly, take everything the dealer says with a grain of salt. Remember, they want to sell you their products and solutions and the quality of their statements and answers varies greatly from dealer to dealer!

For tuners I would either go with V&h fp3. Or power vision. Very easy installation and no need for a dyno tune. Saving money the whole time you own your bike.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NewRider- I forgot to mention a very important fact about my setup. My True Duals are not only Catless but are Ceramic coated inside and out. Results, no heat buildup whatsoever.

Lastly, take everything the dealer says with a grain of salt. Remember, they want to sell you their products and solutions and the quality of their statements and answers varies greatly from dealer to dealer!

MOJO, looks like you have the same setup I am thinking about

After doing some more research to get a better understanding of the tuners and talking with V&H and Rush, and reading Spazz's write up on the FP3, I really think I may do the install myself.

My only point of confusion at this point is the Rush True Duals or HO pipe. Everything I can find shows the dyno numbers show the HO's do perform better than TD's, BUT is there really a felt difference? I am looking at primarily getting better sound and reducing heat, added performance would be a Benefit.

Is the torque drop off with the TD's really noticeable?.... I would assume the performance would be better than the stock even if the HO's did perform slightly better?

For those that have went from stock to TD's or had HO's and TD's... I am very interested in hearing your experience and opinions.

True duals low end performance is as good as I had on my Road King with X-pipe. My pipes have a connecting Plenum that acts like the X-pipe in that balances back pressure evenly. Yes I have the Dyno on this bike but next time I'll do the FP3!

True duals low end performance is as good as I had on my Road King with X-pipe. My pipes have a connecting Plenum that acts like the X-pipe in that balances back pressure evenly. Yes I have the Dyno on this bike but next time I'll do the FP3!

So, the Rush True Duals have a connecting pipe, they are not 2 separate pipes? I was under the impression all true duals were 2 separate pipes.

New rider- My Rush's are 2 separate head pipes that have a small plenum about where a Cat would be connecting the two for back pressure equalization. I'm not sure about other brand True Duals.

Well.... I just placed an order fuelmotto 2-1-2 stainless header, jackpot dyno tuned mufflers, power vision tuner and s&s air cleaner and I am going to give the led replacement light a try.

If anyone gives a S**t I will post and update on my thoughts on the new exhaust and light after installation and some ride time.

Thanks for the feed back

I think you made an excellent choice. Those slip ons (if anything like FM's "original" Jackpot tuned mufflers) are a pretty cool design (separately tuned for front & rear cylinders). I had 'em on my 2003 100th Anniversary 88" Ultra and they really woke it up when combined with the old original PC under Jamie's Fuel Moto logo packaging with one of his personally designed dyno tested maps. Back then, Auto tuners were nothing but Star Wars future tech dreaming. Who'da' thunk? My Ultra was basically a "Winnebiko" 2 wheeled motor home so I was only lookin' to get it to be able to pass an 18 wheeler on the Interstate without beggin' for mercy. Those folks at Fuel Moto will dial you in. Keep us in the loop & stay safe.

Last edited:
I don't have a smart phone. I don't have a laptop. Doesn't the FP3 require one of these?
Yes. I live in a cave, club women in the head, and eat raw meat.

Go buy thee a laptop or at least a notebook! Smart phone is needed for a V&H Fuel Pak III, don't know if you need one for any of the other tuners out there.

Hey Bones,
You actually live a pretty cool life from what little I've read here on the forum. That area of North GA is beautiful, and has endless riding roads. I too had no smart phone until my now grown adult "rockstar" son sat me down one day a few years ago & brought me up to speed. His band travels all over the world & he was wanting to send me texts and pics from their shows. Ended up buying an iPhone. It's almost a necessary "life tool" now. I currently have two.
You don't even have to buy the "latest & greatest". Once you have even a TWO YEAR OLD model, it's easy to update to the latest op. system. I know for a fact that VERIZON has the best coverage in your area (I have AT&T, but for your area VERIZON works best). Phones are relatively cheap right now as the latest model release is coming soon.

http://youtu.be/SO5fvLZ2Yjc

It'll open up a whole new world & gives you the ability to do more stuff as well as providing a sense of security when your out on two wheels.

Last edited:
I don't have a smart phone. I don't have a laptop. Doesn't the FP3 require one of these?
Yes. I live in a cave, club women in the head, and eat raw meat.

Sometimes clubbing sounds like a good idea.......but after 32 years it would be kinda expensive :D

As far as a smartphone goes.....you can buy one for less than $50 at walgreens so just figure it into the cost of the FP3....$300 becomes $350......still a great deal with all the capability !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave