2017 Recall

Not sure what gives them the authority to keep your bike, or at least a loaner while they have it. However I know how that conversation would have went if it were mine.

From what I saw, I would not want to ride the bike home. The rubber hose was moved way out of position. They removed the clamp to re position hose. Then went to get new clamp. But, no clamp in stock. They called their other store and they didn't have any either. Keep in mind, mine was the first bike they found bad. I'm surprised they couldn't come up with one clamp between 2 stores. Harley should have at least sent out a few clamps to the dealers in preparation for this. Who the hell don't keep a couple clamps in stock?

From what I saw, I would not want to ride the bike home. The rubber hose was moved way out of position. They removed the clamp to re position hose. Then went to get new clamp. But, no clamp in stock. They called their other store and they didn't have any either. Keep in mind, mine was the first bike they found bad. I'm surprised they couldn't come up with one clamp between 2 stores. Harley should have at least sent out a few clamps to the dealers in preparation for this. Who the hell don't keep a couple clamps in stock?

It makes NO sense for a dealer NOT to have these in stock knowing bikes are coming that may have the issue and need replacements.

Today I called a few Harley shops just outside the area I live. They all said recall tells them to recrimp old clamps. So something else is going on with my oil line clamp fix. Not sure. I will find out exactly what happened when I pick bike up.

Scarpe- I'm not so sure that you didn't get mis-informed by whoever you talked to. You cannot "re-crimp" these clamps. They are one time use only.
As I understand it from my dealer and the video I posted - if both sides of the crimped area are actually touching, they need replacement. If there is a small gap in between, then they were installed correctly. I hope this helps.

My dealer agreed with what you said. If clamps are not installed correctly, off they come and are replaced. They got clamps in this morning and I picked it up. Looks good.

I just got my notice today, I already had mine checked 2 weeks ago! Can you say timely recall notice?

I stopped by my dealership today and they checked my oil line claps and I passed. They said they haven't seen a bad one yet.

Scarpe- I'm not so sure that you didn't get mis-informed by whoever you talked to. You cannot "re-crimp" these clamps. They are one time use only.
As I understand it from my dealer and the video I posted - if both sides of the crimped area are actually touching, they need replacement. If there is a small gap in between, then they were installed correctly. I hope this helps.

Took mine in and the clamps were good but they replaced them anyway. Said they were instructed by HD to replace both clamps, good or bad. I agree with this 100%. If some of these clamps have failed then why would they do a 5 minute "inspection" and say they are good. This is not just a clamp holding some wires in place, its a oil line that could potentially put ours asses on the pavement.

Took mine in for 1k service. All good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IRist