2017 ride compared to 2015

HDfan

Sep 30, 2016
www.supertrebs.com
I'm a Road King Rider (2003) and have been excited about getting a 2017 Street Glide. Having never riden a SGS, my dealer gave me a 2015 SGS for a couple of hours. I found a lot more power, and very nimble. My biggest issue was the ride - the suspension was very stiff compared to my old Road King.

I intend to take trips with my bike, and the 2015 wouldn't do it for me.

I was wondering if the ride on a 2017 would be any different? Do the new shocks improve the ride noticeably?

The 2017 ride is much improved over OEM 2016 and back. There 's the new dual bending valve front suspension and adjustable emulsion rear shocks. I could tell right away it was better than my 2014.

Just don't forget to take the preload out of the suspension riding solo on a 2017. When set for rider/passenger, things get rough on your back riding solo.

how do you take the preload out have a 2017 orange also will be in pearland with it in a month my family is there

how do you take the preload out have a 2017 orange also will be in pearland with it in a month my family is there

Remove the left saddlebag and the adjustment is right on the shock. Your owners manual has a cardboard fold to put in your wallet that gives what the settings should be for different weights.

I played with mine a little bit, but didn't feel much of a difference...

The 2017 ride is much improved over OEM 2016 and back. There 's the new dual bending valve front suspension and adjustable emulsion rear shocks. I could tell right away it was better than my 2014.

Is this why the ride is so much smoother than the '14?

I took a '17 Road Glide out for a ride yesterday. I was very impressed with how smooth the bike felt and handled. I took it 0 to 100 in no time, which was cool, but the bike was so smooth at high speed. Of course I get back on my '14 Street Glide and I feel all the vibrations. Ugh...

OK. I took out a 2017 found a huge difference. I could ride that bike all day. I think the 2015 I had has a problem with it. The ride was so stiff compared to the '17

Another big part of the comfort issue is the seat. I changed the stock seat on my 16 SGS to a seat from a Ultra and that made a big difference. The stock seat has a better look to it, but isn't so good for actual riding.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Another big part of the comfort issue is the seat. I changed the stock seat on my 16 SGS to a seat from a Ultra and that made a big difference. The stock seat has a better look to it, but isn't so good for actual riding.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I wondered about the seat and I agree it has something to do with the comfort. I'm going to look into this whole topic of front and rear suspension and see what I can come up with. I'm convinced that the front suspension is the biggest culprit in the stiff feel, I think I'll start there..

I too live in pearland...lets ride
sometime
I have changed to a Mustang Seat and Scully Air Ride system..that works out great.IMG_2693.jpg

Last edited:
I sold my 2016 Road King and 2016 Softail Slim S to buy this 2017 SGS that I now have. I wanted a bike that blended the big bike capability of the RK with the agility of the Slim S and the SGS fit the bill very nicely.

The ride on the SGS is very stiff compared to the RK and pretty similar to the Slim S as the Slim S has some pretty fat tires which soften the ride some and the RK is basically a couch and real comfortable.

All of that said I also ride a Drag Specialties solo seat that I took off of the RK and put on the SGS as the stock seat is too small for me due to my height and lack of legroom it gives me. Now that seat I am using is stiffer on either bike (RK or SGS) but the ride on the SGS is far stiffer than the RK and I feel every crack in the road so I too may look at an air ride system as I have had 3 back surgeries and don't need that added vibration.

I knew this going in and wanted to go to one bike vs. 2 so this was one of the compromises I made. There are much better seat options than I am using for comfort too so that may be a future change but for now I can handle it and I love the way the bike handles and the performance of the new 107. It's amazing.

I live in pearland...message me when you come and if nice I will show you some roads around here

Nice looking ride! I went to my local HD dealer on Veteran's Day and rode a 2017 SGS and SGS CVO. I was amazed. I ended up buying the SGS as it was plenty powerful enough and I figured I could always go with a stage one upgrade w/out breaking the bank too much. I went with the custom paint job (a $3k option, yikes!) there were only four in the entire state of California. But in four hours they had one sitting in front of me. Bought it on the spot. No regrets.

SGS-Small.jpgSGS-Small-2.jpg

Attachments

• SGS-Small-2.jpg
    SGS-Small-2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When I bought my 2017 SGS the salesman and I took out a new 16 and 17 so I could ride them back to back. I could not tell any difference in the ride getting off one bike to the other. Coming from a new BMW RT they both rode like red wagons, lol, The 17 had a little different sound and a little more torque. I put some miles on both and they rode the same to me. They made me a sweet deal on the 16 but I thought might as well get the "new" edition. Glad I did.

Being 180 lbs. I found the 17 a little stiff. I could feel the bike hit the rough patches a little hard but it didn't transfer to me through the stock set. I traded in an 08 Street Glide with air shocks. I didn't mind it at all as long as i adjusted it properly. The 17 does track better around curves maybe due to the extra stiffness. It is still comfortable enough. I'm still getting use to slow maneuvering. I was so use to that fat tire on the front of the 08. I can live the stock shocks turned all the way down even though it's stiff even there. Maybe after a few thousand miles it'll get better.

Nice looking ride! I went to my local HD dealer on Veteran's Day and rode a 2017 SGS and SGS CVO. I was amazed. I ended up buying the SGS as it was plenty powerful enough and I figured I could always go with a stage one upgrade w/out breaking the bank too much. I went with the custom paint job (a $3k option, yikes!) there were only four in the entire state of California. But in four hours they had one sitting in front of me. Bought it on the spot. No regrets.

View attachment 11685View attachment 11686

Nice ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith