2017 SGS Suspension Adjustments

cdaymude

Dec 8, 2016
Hey guys, I would really appreciate getting your input on the adjustable suspension on our bikes and what effects if any you have noticed by tightening it up or loosening it up for the load that you are estimating to be carrying.

I rode my bike for the first 300 miles with it set on the factory setting which was completely backed out to the lowest setting. My dealer overlooked setting this up with me and so I found it in the manual and have made the adjustments for my weight (250) and since I ride solo 99% of the time I'm thinking it should "feel different" but have not had a chance to ride due to weather lately.

Let me hear what you have to say about your adjustments and what effect if any you noticed such as handling, ride being too stiff or softer, etc. Thanks for your input guys.

I'm about 280 (not happy about it either!). I played with the suspension a little because it seemed like I was bottoming out the suspension on the potholes here in NH. The adjustment made the normal ride stiffer, but didn't do much for the bottoming out issue on potholes. So as far as I can tell it'll adjust ride quality on light bumps, but on the big boys it does close to nothing...

When I got my last bike I was around 350lbs and I couldn't ride my Harley like I wanted to because of what you are talking about. I got the Ohlin 6's from Howard at Motorcycle Metal and he set them up specifically for me. Completely changed the performance of the bike and I never bottomed out again not to mention it became a pleasure to ride at all speeds and situations. Also did the Ohlin front cartridges when they came out. Ohlins are completely rebuildable so after I did lose a bunch of weight I sent them back to Howard and he completely rebuilt them for my new weight so my ride was once again fantastic. 50,000 miles the shocks are still amazing. Certainly not cheap but will completely change how you enjoy and ride your new bike!
BTW, nice taste, I got the same bike as you.. :eek:

On a 2017 SGS, Does adjusting the rear shocks raise and lower the bike any, or just change how soft or firm the ride is?
StreetGlide (1).jpg

Last edited:
So I have a 2014 SGS, and from what I've read from reviews, the updated suspension on the 2017 is much improved. Anybody here ridden both to really tell if there is much of a difference? and if there is, can the 2014 be upgraded to the new suspension without altering ride height?

So I have a 2014 SGS, and from what I've read from reviews, the updated suspension on the 2017 is much improved. Anybody here ridden both to really tell if there is much of a difference? and if there is, can the 2014 be upgraded to the new suspension without altering ride height?

I traded a 14 SGS for a 17 CVO SG and feel its same but only 230 miles on it. I thought it was the same actually not sure it changed.

I traded a 14 SGS for a 17 CVO SG and feel its same but only 230 miles on it. I thought it was the same actually not sure it changed.

Same here with mine . . . can't tell any difference whatsoever from my 2014. HD PR or BS ???:confused:

I'm 180 lbs. and I am getting tired of these shocks. They ride so rough on the lowest setting. My 08 air over hydraulics were a hell of a lot better then these. Anyone got a good idea on which shocks would be best for me. These things have to go no matter the cost.

I'm 180 lbs. and I am getting tired of these shocks. They ride so rough on the lowest setting. My 08 air over hydraulics were a hell of a lot better then these. Anyone got a good idea on which shocks would be best for me. These things have to go no matter the cost.

There is quite a bit of info and suggested Shocks products in these threads.

You might want to check out an air ride system. Lots of folks on here have done the DIY system, (including me) and love it! I think my whole system was less than $300. It won't help the squishy front end, but your back will thank you!

I don't have any issues with squishy front end. It actually kind of jumps over bumps. It's like riding a bucking horse. The front will jump over a bump and then the back will. It all mosts bucks me off sometimes. Like someone on here said it does fine on small bumps but the big ones is like riding a ridged frame. My 01 Deuce rode the same way before I put air shocks on it. So how do you do the diy air ride? Does the old air over hydraulics work on the 2017?

I don't know about the air over hydraulic on a 2017. There are lots of threads on here on how to do your own air ride system. Do a search for "air ride" and check them out. I bought all the major parts off of amazon. Just search for "Harley air shocks" and the Monroe shocks will pop up along with the pump, solenoid and switch.

I don't know about the air over hydraulic on a 2017. There are lots of threads on here on how to do your own air ride system. Do a search for "air ride" and check them out. I bought all the major parts off of amazon. Just search for "Harley air shocks" and the Monroe shocks will pop up along with the pump, solenoid and switch.

Thank you. I will do it.

I have 2017 SGS, set it initially at "4" for my weight and it seemed to bottom out, the first time I put a passenger on I set it up to around 22, I forgot to set it back down when I went solo again, and the ride still seemed much better than what it did set at the factory recommended setting, so now I put it somewhere in the middle, around 10, and like the ride much better.

I turned mine up one click off the bottom and it seemed better. I just haven't put that many miles on it yet to determine conclusively.

Hey Johnny . . .

Hey Johnny . . .

Hopefully I can be of some help but it's gonna set you back about two G's. I too came off an '07 RK and loved the ride with stock air assisted shocks. I then got a smokin' deal on a '16 SGS and figured how bad could it be to upgrade to Harley's flagship touring bike? What a wake up call that was. I've owned three different Harleys and NOTHING rode as bad as my Street . . . not even close. If you read some of my earlier posts you'll see I posted almost the exact same thing as you so here's what I did. After a lot of research and asking other riders as well as contacting manufacturers I settled on Legends REVO A's for the rear and changed my forks to Legends Axeo cartridges. The change was dramatic and after 4K miles I'm still fine tuning them. I went with 13's on the rear to get the extra travel and it was amazing. Yes, I guess it raised the seat height about 3/4" but who cares . . . at least I can stay on the seat when I hit bumps. Anyway, hope this helps . . . BTW I weigh 180 as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith