2017 SGS Suspension Adjustments

I'm 170, set mine to 11. I only ride solo, remember each click is a half turn.
The cost of aftermarket shocks for me is . . . . well, shocking! :cool:

I'm 170, set mine to 11. I only ride solo, remember each click is a half turn.
The cost of aftermarket shocks for me is . . . . well, shocking! :cool:

I'm 165, and have been riding it on 1 or 2. It's a bit rough. Might try a little higher setting an see if it improves the ride some.

180 lbs. My '17 gets set on 10 for solo, 20 for 2 up (135-140 pass). Seems to work pretty well...

If I leave the preload on 20 and ride solo, I can tell that it's a bit too stiff for me.

just converted 3 bikes to JRI
2016 SG to JRI rear shocks from Progressive 944 - JRI's are much better.
2015 SG from Stock to JRI - Smooths out the ride
2016 Ultra from Air to JRI - Smoother and more comfortable ride

Recommend that you consider these when you decide to move from what you have.

Call Peter @ Computrac Boston (508) 876-9407 They are suspension experts.

I also have these issues with the 2017 FLHXS. Riding two up and set it to 18 the ride is comfortable.

Riding solo I cannot find a setting that is enjoyable. I had a 2017 Road King which has the same changes to suspension but are 13" shocks rather than the 12". I had no issues with those.

I just ordered a set of the Road King shocks and will be installing them soon and see if it solves the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also trying to dial in the adjustment on the 2017. I've read through a bunch of the threads. Using the adjustments/weights in the manual...Does the number indicate the physical number of on the shock or number number of clicks (half a full turn)?

I usually ride solo with them set all the way down.
I'm 190#.
Went on a trip with the wife on back so I cranked them up to max.
Rode fine, but forgot to crank them back down when I got home.
Next time I rode they were so damn stiff I nearly broke my spine.
We tend to have some rough roads in Iowa and some of the frost-cracks I was hitting were bouncing me right off the seat!
Now I run about 8 and unless I know we're taking off on a long ride I don't bother adjusting it for her...

I just got a 2017 SGS and on the long ride home the rear suspension felt very stiff, I could feel all the small bumps in the road and jolts from the bigger bumps. When I got home I checked the setting and it was on about 3. I backed out the preload setting all the way and rode the bike again but it's still pretty stiff. Is the softest setting on this zero (backed out all the way), or is anyone finding a softer setting with a little preload added? I'm 180#.

It does seem a bit strange to me that when I sit on the bike I don't feel any give to the back shocks. I have 2 other bikes and when I sit on them they do give a bit, one has excellent ride (Victory XCT), and the other fairly rough but smoother than this SGS (Indian Vintage). Is the SGS just designed to be firmer so that it's more of a performance riding bike?

Thanks for any comments on this, first post here for me.

BC

I just got a 2017 SGS and on the long ride home the rear suspension felt very stiff, I could feel all the small bumps in the road and jolts from the bigger bumps. When I got home I checked the setting and it was on about 3. I backed out the preload setting all the way and rode the bike again but it's still pretty stiff. Is the softest setting on this zero (backed out all the way), or is anyone finding a softer setting with a little preload added? I'm 180#.

It does seem a bit strange to me that when I sit on the bike I don't feel any give to the back shocks. I have 2 other bikes and when I sit on them they do give a bit, one has excellent ride (Victory XCT), and the other fairly rough but smoother than this SGS (Indian Vintage). Is the SGS just designed to be firmer so that it's more of a performance riding bike?

Thanks for any comments on this, first post here for me.

BC

I had the same thinking as you on just setting to a low value, or no preload at all. The ride was awful. I'm only 165# and run mine set on 10 and the ride is much better. Remember every click you hear is a half turn. So 20 click from 0 is equal to 10 on the chart in the manual. Welcome to the group.

I had the same thinking as you on just setting to a low value, or no preload at all. The ride was awful. I'm only 165# and run mine set on 10 and the ride is much better. Remember every click you hear is a half turn. So 20 click from 0 is equal to 10 on the chart in the manual. Welcome to the group.

Thanks MKA, I'll give that a try..

Also, anyone have any idea why Harley went with the whole clicks vs numbers explanation for the shock preload settings? There is a scale right on the shock, why would they unnecessarily confuse things saying "10 full clicks" instead of just saying set it to #5 on the scale? The only thing I can think of is maybe the scale will wear off over time and all you will be able to do is go by the clicks?

10 lbs per click... easy adjustment

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I came from a very comfortable 11 Streetglide to a surprising rough 17 Streetglide. I weigh 215 and this thing is rough at any setting. My wife is 140 and I turned it to 23 to keep from bottoming. Still not a good ride. I question the design of the shocks. It is obvious that the left shock is the support shock and the right shock, being a smaller diameter is just a secondary support. I was surprised to see a design like this. Looks like a failure to me. I will switch brands of bike before I pay to correct an bad engineering design.

Here is what I have found so far. When riding solo ( @ 189 lbs) its best to be a little on the high side like a 8-10. It still bounces but better than the suggested setting. The best ride is when riding 2 up though. Together we push 370lbs but the full setting as suggested is very rigid and we found that 18 is a pretty good ride. Its no Honda ride by any means but its tolerable for 400 miles for us. I suggest using the book only as a starting point and go up and down from there. Believe it or not, the half clicks do make a difference. I wanna switch shocks still but spending $1000 after paying what we did........................BS, not happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo