2017 Streetglide Trans and clutch question

cyclechris

Sep 25, 2016
Greetings forum members,
I traded my 2014 SG for the new 2017 SG. I'm very happy with everything except the clutch and transmission feel that I thought would be better than my previous bike. Clutch engagement is much further out in comparison. The clunk is still there and I feel the actual gear shift like feedback in the shift lever. I've never felt this before with any of my bikes. It is annoying and I hope there is something wrong. Do any other new bike owners have issues with the new clutch ? Are you getting clunk free shifts ?
Thanks for any replies, cyclechris..

There will probably be another 4-5 recalls on these clutch systems too!

Hi Cyclechris,

I have a 2107 Street Glide Special and what you have is normal and the way it is. It has a slipper clutch which is why it may engage further out and I think the clunk is good letting you know it is engaged. the clunk will probably get better..meaning a bit quieter/smoother over time as it breaks in... You can try Redline tranny fluid on your next fluid change at 1000 miles...I heard it smooths things out a bit in the tranny. I only have about 480 miles so far but will try it myself... The bike is awesome just takes getting used to...enjoy!

It was designed that way. There is nothing wrong with your bike at all. I also have a 2017 FLHXS and the hydraulic clutch was weird for me at first also. I do however like the feedback in the clutch handle.

In respect to the lever engagement point... the '17's suck. Somebody ought to find a fix...

no issues, the clutch does feel different at first compared to my 8 yr old TC, but after 800 miles and getting use to it, I see no problems and like the feel better than the sloppy cable clutch.

Other than the longer throw to engage, I'm not seeing any issues with the clutch and transmission on my 2017. The transmission will always make a clunk into the gears as they have for many years, but nothing out of the ordinary. The clutch is much smoother on the 2017, and it did take about 500 miles to get used to. Now it kinda messes with me when I ride my 07 Softail!

Good morning members,
It rained all weekend here in IL so I couldn't take a ride to see if I can begin to get used to the very different feel in my 2017 clutch. This is my 4th SG. I had a 2010,2012,2014 and now 2017. The old cable actuated clutch would be an antique by today's standards but it did have good engagement. I know I can get used to the engagement point but the feedback in the lever itself will take some getting used to.
Thanks for your replies, cyclechris

Hello there,
Are you saying you also feel a jolt in the clutch lever when the gears change. I've never felt anything like this in the 30 + bikes I've owned including my previous Streetglides which I know did not have a slipper clutch.
Thanks, Chris ..

I agree that the clutch takes some getting used to. While the cable clutches seemed to start coming in around 1/4" from the handgrip, the '17 seems to come in around the last 1/4" of travel. Yeah, I have embarrassed myself a few times taking off from a light, what with the clutch engagement, lower idle speed, and overcoming the inertia of the balancer. Now that I am getting used to it, I will probably have to relearn the Sporty next time I ride it. This is my first bike with a hydraulic clutch, with the exception of my KTM dirt bike.

I have noticed that there seems to be more gear noise from the tranny on the '17. Perhaps it is more noticeable because there is less valve train noise from the engine. The fact that my previous bike had a Thunderheader could also be part of what seems to be more gear noise. Although I have no baffles in my "stock" slip-ons from American Custom, the converter still keeps the exhaust pretty quiet (at least from the perspective of someone who ran 1-3/4" drag pipes back in the day). My previous bike was not a touring model, but a Dyna Switchback, so this is not a true apples-to-apples comparison.

As far as shifting itself, I haven't noticed anything abnormal.

Last edited:
H-D Boogie;67809 I have noticed that there seems to be more gear noise from the tranny on the '17. Perhaps it is more noticeable because there is less valve train noise from the engine. The fact that my previous bike had a Thunderheader could also be part of what seems to be more gear noise. Although I have no baffles in my "stock" slip-ons from American Custom said:
Will you please elaborate on the type of noise that you're hearing from your transmission, such as, is it the infamous neutral rattle or does it make noise in gear during acceleration, etc.? Thanks

It is just a high-pitched gear whine, NGO, like rear end noise in a truck or rear wheel drive car. I don't notice it during acceleration, but slightly in fifth gear at steady-state throttle. It is most pronounced when decelerating in fourth and fifth gears. Again, my previous bike had a Thunderheader which was even loud with the throttle closed, so perhaps gear noise was masked. The noise is not annoying, but it is there. I checked the belt tightness and alignment, at least on the rear pulley, to make sure that was not an issue. I also checked to make sure the tranny had oil (don't laugh, as my neighbor a few doors down got a new tranny in his trike at very low mileage for that reason). If we ever get through monsoon season, I will do some more experimenting and report, like whether there is any gear whine difference between decelerating with the clutch engaged or disengaged. Hope this helps.

My new 2017 was "iffy" on clutch and shifts too. I fixed it!

Installed this in my Primary Case. Link

Installed this in my transmission. Link

I wish the bike came new like this, as it's all the difference in the world. Only takes one quart per hole.

My new 2017 was "iffy" on clutch and shifts too. I fixed it!

Installed this in my Primary Case. Link

Installed this in my transmission. Link

I wish the bike came new like this, as it's all the difference in the world. Only takes one quart per hole.

Amsoil changed the clutch lever engagement point?:confused:

Amsoil changed the clutch lever engagement point?:confused:

After the change, the clutch engagement point did seem to change slightly, so yes. Overall, I was shocked at the improvement in feel of the clutch lever and foot shifter. Amsoil in your bike, following their recommendation is a must do mod on the Harley.

What buyers need to understand, a hydraulic clutch will have a different engagement point than a cable clutch will, depending on setup. The feel is entirely different. Hydraulic, once you adjust to the change, feels good to me.

Last edited:
After the change, the clutch engagement point did seem to change slightly, so yes. Overall, I was shocked at the improvement in feel of the clutch lever and foot shifter.

Hmmm... I'll have to give it a try, then. Thanks! Btw... Greenhulk guy?

i have the whine in mine to. I dont like the engagement point on the clutch but im getting used to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith