2017 Streetglide Trans and clutch question

Everyone should check their belt tension on their bike... When I got my new 2017 SGS bike, the belt was adjusted as tight as could be and I was surprised it didn't snap... I noticed a slight howl/wine coming from the bike at all times...and after 100 miles I found it was the belt... It came from the factory like that. After I adjusted it properly with about 1/4" to 3/8" slack, the bike was quiet and smooth...much better. I don't hear any gear noises...pretty smooth.

I also have the slip ons with no baffles running from American Custom on my 2017 SGS and they are a bit quiet..but they are louder than stock and it seems to get deeper /louder with more miles put on...

"A world of difference". Yeah. OK.

There are real mechanical reasons the 2017 clutch is very different from the prior. Lubrication isn't one of them.

Everyone should check their belt tension on their bike... When I got my new 2017 SGS bike, the belt was adjusted as tight as could be and I was surprised it didn't snap... I noticed a slight howl/wine coming from the bike at all times...and after 100 miles I found it was the belt... It came from the factory like that. After I adjusted it properly with about 1/4" to 3/8" slack, the bike was quiet and smooth...much better. I don't hear any gear noises...pretty smooth.

The 1/4" to 3/8" of belt deflection is with 10 lbs of force applied. There is not really any slack.

Yep, no kidding. Talk about placebo effect. If it wasn't so saddening, it would be hilarious...

"A world of difference". Yeah. OK.

There are real mechanical reasons the 2017 clutch is very different from the prior. Lubrication isn't one of them.

Never once did I state the difference in the new 2017 clutch was lubricant related. I said a change of lubricant made my 2017 clutch feel better. Don't believe me, try it for yourself. Don't simply post "that's impossible" without making the change, just do it. What's "saddening" is people like yourself who "assume" you know everything there is to know about a topic, form an opinion based on your limited experience, then discredit those who observe changes from using a product you have zero experience with. It's not placebo, it's the positive effects of using a far superior lubricant to what Harley sells and/or uses in your bike when shipped.

I dare you to take the Amsoil challenge, use all 3 case specific lubricants in your Harley, then decide for yourself. I promise, you will be marching to a different tune afterwards.

Last edited:
Hello fellow 2017 owners.
I deal with one of the biggest Harley dealers in the Midwest. They have some influence over Harley. Because my dealer has so many customers unhappy over the feel of the new clutch Harley sent two engineers down to investigate. They confirmed that when the trans shifts it sends hydraulic fluid back to the master cylinder causing the jolt in the lever. After two days they did not have a fix. My dealer does. They are putting a 2016 clutch assembly into my bike. Yes I will lose the unnecessary slipper function but their test bike did not exhibit any of the clutch lever feed back. I should have my bike back before next weekend and the weather is looking good to take an extended ride to verify this totally fixed the issues I was having. I'll report back if anyone cares.
Chris ..

Greetings forum members,
I traded my 2014 SG for the new 2017 SG. I'm very happy with everything except the clutch and transmission feel that I thought would be better than my previous bike. Clutch engagement is much further out in comparison. The clunk is still there and I feel the actual gear shift like feedback in the shift lever. I've never felt this before with any of my bikes. It is annoying and I hope there is something wrong. Do any other new bike owners have issues with the new clutch ? Are you getting clunk free shifts ?
Thanks for any replies, cyclechris..

I totally agree with you! I traded my 2015 SGS for a new 2017 SGS and the only thing I am very unhappy with is the clutch and the feedback through the clutch when you shift,my 15 was a hydraulic clutch and it did no have this issue.

To me, the feedback is not really a problem- it's the engagement characteristics of the clutch. Too narrow and too far out. Everybody who has taken a spin on my bike comments about it.

To me, the feedback is not really a problem- it's the engagement characteristics of the clutch. Too narrow and too far out. Everybody who has taken a spin on my bike comments about it.

I also agree after yesterdays ride with your comment as that
being the biggest issue of the two, however I am still not a fan of the feedback!

My new 2017 was "iffy" on clutch and shifts too. I fixed it!

Installed this in my Primary Case. Link

Installed this in my transmission. Link

I wish the bike came new like this, as it's all the difference in the world. Only takes one quart per hole.

I may try your suggestion, did you add the full quart in each hole??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469