2017 warranty discussion

There is no doubt that we are now living in a different world. Modern technology is injecting new parts and strange software into our beloved motorcycles. Many of us have learned that we no longer have the necessary skill sets to work on new bikes. In fact, the engineers who design the bikes and the manufacturers who build the bikes do not want us to be able to work on or repair the vehicles that they sell us. They build them so you have to have special tools and computers just to modify something as simple as a change in idle speed. In short, many of the common maintenance tasks need to be farmed out to the dealer's service department. That brings me to another big problem. After 54 years of riding and visiting a good many Harley dealerships I can truthfully say that the skill level of the tech monkeys back in the shop has fallen drastically. Most of the technicians (as they like to be referred to) are newly minted from MMI or some other accredited school. They are green as a gourd and have little to no experience working on new bikes. They gain what experience they have by trial and error. In other words they work on a customers bike and learn as they go. They make lots of mistakes. They replace lots of parts. Customers have to take their bikes back two or three times to get something fixed because the people doing the fixing simply do not have the experience to diagnose and fix them the first time. I know this is a sad commentary, but it is common. So where are most of the old heads who know how to diagnose and troubleshoot motorcycles? Most of them, if they are any good, have long since hung out their own shingles as independents...who don't do warranty work. Now I realize that there are some really good technicians working in some of the Harley dealers across the country. If you are lucky enough to have bought your new bike from a dealer that has some of these old heads still on the payroll, then you are a lucky dude. But for the rest of us getting our new Harley fixed can be a real headache.

I picked up a 2017 denim black SGS last month, I want to powder coat all the chrome black but I want to make sure that this will not affect my warranty since the engine is new, I don't want them to blame any failure on me. I really dont want to pay 700 to get the black engine cover kit from HD. Does anyone have any advice on this. Thanks

I picked up a 2017 denim black SGS last month, I want to powder coat all the chrome black but I want to make sure that this will not affect my warranty since the engine is new, I don't want them to blame any failure on me. I really dont want to pay 700 to get the black engine cover kit from HD. Does anyone have any advice on this. Thanks

Powder away - warranty concerns are for engine operation modifications not exterior coatings. just don't get anything inside, or not put something back together right when changing/removing parts.

They build them so you have to have special tools and computers just to modify something as simple as a change in idle speed.

True. So I purchased some special tools, a laptop computer, and some tuning software. I have found that bikes are now easier than ever to work on. The documentation is better. You can find help online. The bikes are built better than ever before. Plus, the end result is more power, better fuel economy, and cleaner air for us to breath.

Powder away - warranty concerns are for engine operation modifications not exterior coatings. just don't get anything inside, or not put something back together right when changing/removing parts.

Thanks! So if I take it to a powder coater they will be able to make sure nothing gets on the internal portions. Only thing I've ever powder coated before was wheels and everything was coated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! So if I take it to a powder coater they will be able to make sure nothing gets on the internal portions. Only thing I've ever powder coated before was wheels and everything was coated.

Yes, just tell them to protect interior and mating edges

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree with Hulkss, even though I've added a couple of "aftermarket" items (FP3 tuner and pipes) I can easily go back to stock OEM pipes and my SE tuner in 20 minutes. I decided this time around NOT to remove the CAT. The M8 makes tons of torque and I'm happy. :cool:

I am just curious to why some dealers are ok with aftermarket tuners and head pipes that they sale you and then some say they want to void the warranty. I get tired of hearing you got to buy Harley and only Harley pipes tuners etc. If thats the case I got a 2017 SGS with V&H power duals and Bassani pipes and FP3 I'll sale and go Indian !!

I am just curious to why some dealers are ok with aftermarket tuners and head pipes that they sale you and then some say they want to void the warranty. I get tired of hearing you got to buy Harley and only Harley pipes tuners etc. If thats the case I got a 2017 SGS with V&H power duals and Bassani pipes and FP3 I'll sale and go Indian !!

It's because technically Harley will not warranty anything non Harley starting 2017 because of the EPA lawsuit that cost them millions. If you have an issue then you put your old stuff back on and just go into the dealership, or if you have a dealership that you know won't care, They will overlook it. I'm totally willing to deal with this issue as the M8 is a badass motor.

I agree with you Birds. My dealer sells aftermarket pipes and headers BUT NOT TUNERS! They install as well and as long as you purchase and install there, they'll honor warranty. However . . . IF it could be proven one of these items DID cause engine issues, I do not know what the outcome would be if they got into a conflict with the Motor Co. So my advice is keep your OEM change out items just in case. :cool:

Well said mojo. I have the S.E. Street Cannons and love them. Great sound and I have nothing to worry about as they are EPA compliant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469