2017 warranty regarding aftermarket pipes

Respectfully, as soon as I put on the screaming eagle race tuner on my brand new 14 (at the time) my warranty was voided, it just happened that I was putting on a new head pipe as well; and the dealership was installing everything.Even with the race tuner alone my warranty was going to be voided. At least now the option is there for those who choose upgrade and keep the 2 year warranty, or extended warranty. If you want the performance and don't care about the warranty then go for it. Personally, with a new motor like this M8, I'd wait a year or two before putting anything on it to see how it holds up. Now granted is this a ploy for the HD MOCO to make money, sure.....

Last edited:
I installed the SE Street Tuner on my '17 Glide, and my experience has been positive, at least from a performance standpoint. Although the idle speed increased by about 50 RPM, the throttle response is infinitely better. It doesn't "hunt" for an idle speed anymore, and I don't feel like I'm going to kill the engine every time I take off. I did the heavy breather and have kept the stock headpipe.

The installation of the tuner was another matter. After doing my data acquisition ride, the "Microsoft has detected an error and is closing the program" message appeared the first three times trying to download the data. After putting a sailor to shame with my vast vocabulary and resisting the urge to take a hammer to the laptop, the forth attempt was successful. Also, it would be a good time to eat dinner when downloading the drivers, as it took 45-minutes.

I can't report on fuel mileage since the download, because the weather here in Northern Indiana prevented riding the bike enough to gas it up since. I wouldn't be surprised by a decrease, especially because the intake noise from the heavy breather (which Mother Harley is obviously proud of at $400) sounds so nice when getting on it.

I tried the SE slip-ons, and they were way too quiet for me. I am running my stockers unbaffled by American Custom, and it is still too quiet, but it's much better. If I need warranty work, the SE's will go back on.

Aftermarket tuners have always voided your warranty. Everyone thinks this is something new! You are changing the factory parameters of the engine.

Changing your mufflers doesn't void your warranty but the dealers will try to tell you it does. As long as the catalytic converter is still intact there is no EPA violation with the exhaust. Tell them to show you in writing where a different muffler voids the warranty.

Buying a 2014-2016 model, doesn't prevent them from voiding any existing warranty if you use and aftermarket tuner.

Last edited:
the way the dealer explained it to me was before 2017 if you put an aftermarket tuner on your bike and it had a failure that could be attributed to that, it wasn't covered. So yes putting it on voided your warranty in that situation. But now for 2017 if you put an aftermarket tuner on and something totally unrelated to it fails, like the clutch, it isn't covered, warranty is totally voided. Not sure if that is true, its just what my dealer said was the difference in warranty voiding from pre 2017 to now. and they also said it wasn't just EPA related stuff, if you put on slip on mufflers that don't affect emissions, still voided the warranty. I asked how far would HD take that policy, what if I put on non Harley highway pegs, warranty voided??? the salesman just smiled at me. I would hope that legally HD couldn't get away with that.........

the way the dealer explained it to me was before 2017 if you put an aftermarket tuner on your bike and it had a failure that could be attributed to that, it wasn't covered. So yes putting it on voided your warranty in that situation. But now for 2017 if you put an aftermarket tuner on and something totally unrelated to it fails, like the clutch, it isn't covered, warranty is totally voided. Not sure if that is true, its just what my dealer said was the difference in warranty voiding from pre 2017 to now. and they also said it wasn't just EPA related stuff, if you put on slip on mufflers that don't affect emissions, still voided the warranty. I asked how far would HD take that policy, what if I put on non Harley highway pegs, warranty voided??? the salesman just smiled at me. I would hope that legally HD couldn't get away with that.........

They can't, period. For instance, let's say you installed an aftermarket tune and 1 week later, the fuel sending unit failed in the gas tank due to a failed part (not tune related of course). Harley can't void your warranty because you had your bike reflashed with an aftermarket tune. It's completely unrelated.

For the same reason, let's say there was an engine failure due to a poorly assembled engine, but the dealer saw my maintenance receipts and blamed it on the Amsoil lubricant I am using in the bike. They can't void the warranty unless it's proven fact that is what caused the failure. In fact, if they tried, all I have to do is contact Amsoil legal department and let them go to work. I guarantee, after one letter of legal action, HD would back off, warranty the engine, and move along.

Don't let them bully you.

Once you modify your bike to where it's no longer EPA street legal for the area it was sold in they are no longer obligated to honor a warranty on it . That would be about any part that isn't CARB approved for street use.

It's how the MoCo got into a jam in the first place selling "race tuners" and knowingly putting them on bikes operated on public roadways. It cost them in couple ways , the fine for one and it now limits all the mods they used to be able to sell & install so the MoCo isn't likely going to be as flexible as they once were. I'm sure the EPA is watching them pretty close also.

It's a new game so it's a little early to tell , also the ECM holds in memory any changes. Lets say your running a FP3 tuner , have an issue and flash the stock map back to the ECM and put your stock parts on to take it in for a warranty claim , they will be able to tell the fuel map had been modified by a diagnostics report from the ECM.

How picky will they be , hard to know at this point , I'd read through the warranty I posted ( #24 ) and ask the maker of what ever slip-ons you want if they are CARB approved.

The SE Street Tuner had a CARB sticker and instructions as to where to apply the label for Cali folks.

Now, what if you have extended warranty purchased while still under 2 year warranty, through someone else and your bike is being worked on by certified HD shop on warranty work (not HD dealership), will the same BS applied? Is this only with HD or with other manufacturers also?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith