Chnaging out 1/4 turn bag retainers for knob type

buckshot85

Aug 18, 2013
Any of you guys that have replaced the OEM type 1/4 turn bag retainers with a knob type threaded screw have any issues with those coming loose from road vibes? I have a set here and am a bit leery of installing just for that reason. How tight you cranking them?

I used the baggerSTDs also. They have a small lock washer, I don't see them going anywhere. I still check them.

I also did the Lowes set up.... I just put a drop of red loctite on the screws just to feel better!!!

I've seen the STD, but what's the Lowes setup?

2015 FLHXS Charcoal Pearl
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw something somewhere where they were replaced with a bolt with a knob on the end. Then no tool is needed if you needed to remove them. I can't find where I saw that.

I saw something somewhere where they were replaced with a bolt with a knob on the end. Then no tool is needed if you needed to remove them. I can't find where I saw that.

That's what I'm asking about.
The Lowes set up is going to Lowes and buying the parts cheaper then ordering them from some one in a dedicated kit.

Bagger std's on mine. Easy install. I haven't been able to ride with them yet, but the lock washer in the kit makes me feel ok about them.

I've been running the STD's for over a year now. They do not loosen up at all. Plus the fact that it takes the special torx tool with the center security pin gives me peace of mind. These will be really nice when I install my 2014 bags. I'm thinking Ember Red Sunglo One Touch bags might look kinda nice to someone with an '09-'13 bagger.

I have the STD's installed yesterday. Great improvement over stock bolts. When accidently forgetting to lock the bag, dont have to worry that someone takes it within an blink of the eye

Am I right in thinking that these aren't necessarily needed for 2014+ models as they now come with the trim piece that covers the bag's pins?

Mine is a 2015 version Rushmore And still was delivered with the easy half turn loose pin. Some forum members have had issues losing bags on the highway . Bringing others in danger and hitting their own wallet on replacement. The DST's are also theft prevention cause you need an extra tool to release te bolts.. And doing so releasing the bags.

Here's the info for the Lowes set up. Drawer J7 & K22. (If all Lowes are set up the same) I just started using this set up so I can't say if it will back out or not. I wouldn't expect it to. If it does the Fluted Knobs have a long way to go before they let loose. I'll be checking them frequently at first to get a feel for them.

Thanks Templar, Many of us have done this as a safety and anti-theft measure. When traveling this is a bit more security while staying at motels etc.
I also use the HD Bag liners on trips, then I just lift out the entire contents all at once and keep them in my room.
View attachment 5513

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith