Chnaging out 1/4 turn bag retainers for knob type

Here's the info for the Lowes set up. Drawer J7 & K22. (If all Lowes are set up the same) I just started using this set up so I can't say if it will back out or not. I wouldn't expect it to. If it does the Fluted Knobs have a long way to go before they let loose. I'll be checking them frequently at first to get a feel for them.

Blues had an excellent idea. Drill a small hole towards the outer edge of each of the knobs and stretch a small bungee cord between the two.

Thanks Templar- Many of us have changed out the stock fasteners as a way to add more safety and security. When I travel I also use the HD Saddlebag liners, you can pull everything out of the hard bags when you get to your motel/hotel all at once that way.
HDBL.png

here's a possible solution to the faster issue!
So I'm taking inventory of the parts I have on hand that would work for replacement of the stock HD saddlebag fasteners. I have knobs but Decided on stainless socket heads in place of the Quick release pins and fastened up the bags as everyone is doing. The issue Seems to be that folks are afraid the bolts will loosen and vibrate out. So I spied an O-ring on the work bench and slipped it on the portion of the screw that protrudes out of the back of the saddlebag toward the U-clip. The fit was tight and I'm thinking that there seems to be enough tension that even if the bolt loosens it will not turn the O-ring and the bolt will not back out. I also tried a rubber grommet and a rubber washer which seems to work even better. I suppose a person could put a low profile Nyloc nut back there also and just snug it up so the bolt still turns.
I'm going to give it try see how it works.

Blues

update 5/10/15
I road tested all the combinations listed above with both 5/16" socket head bolts and knobs. After several thousand miles there is no indication that a fastener will work loose.

Last edited:
Just as a follow up.

I've been running the Lowes setup for about 6 weeks now. No issues.

Did mine today used cvo bag bushing thicker bushing and harder rubber to get spacing on bag for bittubo 13 in. rear shocks.

I have only heard about the bags falling off. Figured someone must be in a hurry when they put theirs back on so I was always very careful when re-installing mine...then my friend is going down the highway and sure enough his bag passes him and stops in a construction area. Not pretty. Came home and installed the Lowes setup and now I feel more secure this won't happen to me. So far I like it, just can't use my bag tray. Not as quick as the factory setup but not that big of deal.

Those look very interesting blues, let us know how they work. For those of us with the hand adjustable rear shock this would be a game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be very leery of hitting one of those buttons and becoming unsecure. I like the cheaper version that you thread in and then you know it's secure.

Just my 2 cents

I would be very leery of hitting one of those buttons and becoming unsecure. I like the cheaper version that you thread in and then you know it's secure.

Just my 2 cents

Ditto . . . . . . . . . . . .

That's what I'm asking about.
The Lowes set up is going to Lowes and buying the parts cheaper then ordering them from some one in a dedicated kit.

Here's the info for the Lowes set up. Drawer J7 & K22. (If all Lowes are set up the same) I just started using this set up so I can't say if it will back out or not. I wouldn't expect it to. If it does the Fluted Knobs have a long way to go before they let loose. I'll be checking them frequently at first to get a feel for them.

Ok- I hit Lowes today. I had to go to two different stores before I could find one that carried the nob handle bolts. The ones I found came in 1/2 inch and 1-3/4 inch. I thought the 1/2 inch would be too short, but the 1 3/4 inch give you almost and inch more than you really need. If you can find a set that are an inch long, you are probably good to go.
Each knob was 3.49, and each u-nut was 1.04- the lowes trip came out to about $2 less than an online vendor. So, if I had decided to go this route on a snowy or icy day when I didn't want to ride, the eBay option is priced very fairly.

I posted this in a different thread, after thinking about it I should have posted here. Another new recall just hit concerning my 2014 Streetglide. HD has finally owned up to the saddlebags falling off. 15V-427 is the SB number. I tried to run the VIN number on the HD website and it didn't work. I went to safercar.gov and entered my VIN, it is included.

I posted this in a different thread, after thinking about it I should have posted here. Another new recall just hit concerning my 2014 Streetglide. HD has finally owned up to the saddlebags falling off. 15V-427 is the SB number. I tried to run the VIN number on the HD website and it didn't work. I went to safercar.gov and entered my VIN, it is included.
Thanks for reposting. My VIN is listed there on the lookup also. Glad I've installed BaggerBolts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith