Clunking Noise From CS

TwoThings

Jun 4, 2022
Hey all! First post. 2015 SG. When leaving from complete stop at low RPM, I hear a terrible clunking coming from the CS, in addition, actually feel the motor bog as though it has lost power. Anybody run into this as well, figured out a cause, or fix? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum first of all.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you calling the CS, clutch side, cam side, or the compensator area?

How many miles on it? When was the last time that the primary fluid was changed? Was it inspected for an abnormal amount of metal? Some metal is to be expected, after all, the clutch, compensator, and chain tensioner all live in the same fluid.

Is there a loud banging noise coming from that side while starting it? Hard to find neutral or first? Those 2 would point more to a compensator going on you.

The only real way to know is pull the primary cover and inspect everything behind it. I'm betting it's the chain tensioner.

As previously stated how many miles are on your bike? What are your riding habits? As stated above drain your primary oil and inspect your drain plug magnet for metal shavings. A fuzzy build up is normal. If you have splinters of metal then you will have to remove the outer primary cover. First check the chain tension for proper end play checked at the chains tightest deflection point. Then check the torque on the compensator bolt and the clutch hub but. If those torques are within specs then you will have to disassemble and remove the compensator primary chain and clutch hub as an assembly. Then check the compensator assembly ramp areas for wear, inspect the chain tensioner for wear. Then remove the clutch pack from the clutch hub and rotate the clutch shell while holding the clutch hub and check for wear on the clutch bearing for any binding. Rotate the shell slowly and feel for any bearing binding. You might find wear on compensator ramps but also perform the above mentioned checks so you can get to the root cause of the problem. Let us know what you find.

if it is the compensator i would go with a compensator eliminator to replace to old one
one of the first things i did to my 2016 at the 1000 mile service
if you do go with a 34 tooth one the instructions tell you that you will have to remove both the compensator and the clutch to install the eliminator but you do not have to remove the clutch
after i installed mine i got smoother and easier shifting both up and down no clunking better smoother ride
mule

You can go with a compensator eliminator but understand that the compensator is designed to absorb torque fluctuations from motor and prevent the jerking pulses from being transferred to the clutch hub basket and the transmission main shaft. It you eliminate the compensator you will accelerate clutch hub bearing wear along with inner primary bearing wear as the side load created by engine torque rpm pulses will be transferred down stream. The compensator is a wear item and it is designed to absorb the torque variation loads. It’s life depends on the riders riding habits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller