Continued Oil Loss

Another suggestion I’ve received is to pull the drain plug at the bottom of the crank case and see how much oil comes out. I was told that it should only be 6-8 ounces. If a lot comes out then my oil pump is not working. Any comments? I’m asking as that seems simple enough to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a check for "sumping" which can happen if the oil pump does not scavenge the cases of oil properly.

I somehow don’t think that is the issue. Is it worth checking?

Also, why new pistons and cylinders? Why not just clean everything and hone the existing cylinders?

The pistons and cylinder bores do wear. This is a hot running air cooled engine, not an automobile. If you just hone high mileage cylinders, you will most likely have loose fitting pistons, tapered cylinders, and oil consumption issues. New cylinders are only a few dollars more than a good quality re-bore and you would need over-size new pistons anyway.

You can pull the case drain plug if you want. Be careful when tightening it. It's tapered and a number of people have cracked their engine cases.

Thanks for the information. What do you recommend regarding the cylinder heads?

Thanks for the information. What do you recommend regarding the cylinder heads?

Clean the heads (combustion chambers and valves) with a baking soda spray blaster. Harbor Freight has a good one that's not too expensive. Hand lap the valves and put in new valve seals. If the valves are loose in the guides or the seats don't hand lap well, you will need a professional valve job.

What in the heads should I go ahead and replace while I’m there?

Hand lap the valves and put in new valve seals. If the valves are too loose in the guides or the seats don't hand lap well, you will need a professional valve job.

So here is the latest. I forget why I even did it, but I checked my plugs today.

Here is the rear plug:

0944801b04be71202d7dcce19705c5ef.jpg

And here is the front plug:

1ff6d65a1436437dd03084b5812518b1.jpg

I’m not seeing oil on them at all. These plug have about 20-25k on them. Does this mean the compression is good and I don’t need to do cylinders, pistons, and rings? If that is correct, does that mean I Need to be checking the valves and cylinder heads out closer?

That white ash build-up is the result of burning oil in the combustion chamber.

So I have finally started the tear down. Should I start a new thread or continue here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90