DIY Air Ride

RoadWarrior

Jul 16, 2015
So I decided that an air ride system would be pretty cool and an improvement over the stock SGS shocks. I went to the dealer and asked about take-off ultra shocks and was told "Oh...You want air ride? That's different. You need this, this and don't forget that...and leave the title to your first born to cover the cost." So I got on the internet and did a search on "DIY Air Ride" and it seems the riding community has figured this out. I ordered all of the major components (shocks, air pump and shock bushings) for $150 on Amazon. I let y'all know how it works out.

Last edited:
So I decided that an air ride system would be pretty cool and an improvement over the stock SGS shocks. I went to the dealer and asked about take-off ultra shocks and was told "Oh...You want air ride? That's different. You need this, this and don't forget that...and leave the title to your first born to cover the cost." So I got on the internet and did a search on "DIY Air Ride" and it seems the riding community has figured this out. I ordered all of the major components (shocks, air pump and shock bushings) for $150 on Amazon. I let y'all know how it works out.

There are several threads here regarding air ride shocks all the way from 13" Ultra shocks on a SG to custom exotic setups. I'm sure your new kit will work out fine. Let us know how you like it

Here is the amazon link for the shocks, compessor and bushings. These items are purchased together so frequently, they list all three parts below the shocks.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA785-...&qid=1438365097&sr=8-1&keywords=monroe+MA+785

This is a good source for air solenoids. You need 2. Probably find them way cheaper on eBay or Amazon.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5077t124/=yalmyd

This is the switch I'm planning on using as it will mount in the fairing, provided the dealer can get one. Otherwise, I'll just hide a 3 way switch under the seat where it can be reached easily.

https://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.asp?PartNumber=71764-07

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342894224.423550.jpg

Last edited:
That switch won't work on your SGS, it's for '13 and down bikes. The fairing switches are smaller on '14 plus. I run a DIY kit that I put together. Look up JNR Designs on FB, Jason makes an great compressor bracket, and will also have anything else u would need. Dirty Air is also great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That switch won't work on your SGS, it's for '13 and down bikes. The fairing switches are smaller on '14 plus. I run a DIY kit that I put together. Look up JNR Designs on FB, Jason makes an great compressor bracket, and will also have anything else u would need. Dirty Air is also great.

Probably just hide a switch in the glove box.

In my opinion the Legends isn't worth it, I had the Aero A set and never got as nice of a ride as I have with my DIY set up.

that link was just for the switch not the whole system

DYI is just as good

That''s a good looking switch, but a bit bulky. I think I'd rather hide a switch and maybe do a wireless remote for a little cool factor. I'm also looking at doing a front air ride, but have to wait till winter when I can have the front end torn apart for a little while to machine the parts.

I also figured out that the compressor I ordered has a check valve built in, so only one solenoid is required to dump air. I should be all in for less than $200.

I have mine set to auto fill once the ignition is turned out and auto dump when off. I also can manually fill and dump, I have two switches hidden in front on the battery.
f14b60239a72bc428ed188bd0da888c2.jpg

That''s a good looking switch, but a bit bulky. I think I'd rather hide a switch and maybe do a wireless remote for a little cool factor. I'm also looking at doing a front air ride, but have to wait till winter when I can have the front end torn apart for a little while to machine the parts.

I also figured out that the compressor I ordered has a check valve built in, so only one solenoid is required to dump air. I should be all in for less than $200.
Yea I have a remote on mine little tricky to wire but really don't use it. With the hidden switch changing pressure while riding is PITA and same with the remote.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

It's not to bad for me, having the switch on the bars was a pain for me because I couldn't reach it if I had the front brake engaged.

Not sure I care too much about adjusting height going down the road. I'm OK stopping to to do that. As long as there are no leaks, once it's set, you shouldn't have to mess with it.

Are you planning on running a gauge? If not what's your plan to have it set the same every time?

I was planning on using a small gauge. Beyond that, just set it till it feels good. I saw a Road King with a DIY setup today. He said he just bumps it up a little when 2-up, down a little when solo, never touches it while riding and never dumps it down. Looked like he had the stock air shocks and just added a compressor.

I touch mine here and there while riding, but not much. The stock shocks are not air shocks, there air over oil. Adding a compressor to those will blow a shock.

I touch mine here and there while riding, but not much. The stock shocks are not air shocks, there air over oil. Adding a compressor to those will blow a shock.

Always thought they were straight air. I should have asked him which shocks he was using.

A rocker switch in the panel to the left of the radio would work. It would look OK, be out of the way yet still accessible while riding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith