DIY Air Ride

Has anyone with the air ride setup. Had issues with the entire system slowly loosing air? I have checked all my fittings and I found 1 leak, but I can fill it up and within a full day it will air out to 0 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible that you may have over tightened one of the ferrules and cut into the line; causing the leak? If not, then maybe one of the NPT fittings is not sealing properly. These are a couple of issues that I encountered while running an air shifter on a different bike. I just added extra Teflon tape to the NPT fittings to seal them. If it's a ferrule, you'll have to cut out the bad section of hose and install a new ferrule.

I have all quick connect fittings for the air lines. I'll double check the fitting on the shocks as well.

Thanks

Check your tube ends. With the quick connect, if you don't have clean cuts, then it might leak.
Also, if you insert the tubing too much, or not enough, the connection will leak.
Since your leak is so slow, I'd do the soapy water trick like eviltwin suggested.
What kind of shocks do you have? I have heard of some people finding leaks in the shock itself.

Ive been using the soap/water I found the fitting on my dump valve. That was the fast leak. But I still have a slow leak somewhere.
I have the Monroe shocks

Has anyone with the air ride setup. Had issues with the entire system slowly loosing air? I have checked all my fittings and I found 1 leak, but I can fill it up and within a full day it will air out to 0 psi

Did you ever resolve the air leak?? I have the same exact issue and I also have all push to connects. I trimmed all ends clean of tubing before inserting but now I'm thinking maybe I inserted too far or hard and that's why I have the same leak. If I raise it up to 80 or 100 psi at night and check it in morning the gauge is at 0psi but the bike is still standing. I'm going to go through every hose again. I didn't find anything with soap water...but it's leaking from some where.

Check the top eyelet on your shocks for a leak. I read about a rider who couldn't figure out his leak and finally submerged his shocks- only to find little air bubbles coming out near the eyelets- however, his leak was faster than what you are describing.

Angel. I am still trying to find the source for my leak. Guess I'll be submerging the shocks to see if that's where the leak is coming from

I've sprayed a lot of soapy water on all the fittings to find nothing. Gonna be pissed of its the shocks

Yeah I've done the same! I'm going to check tubing really good first before I check shock.

Yep. I'm just going to get some new hose and see what that does

I am curious I was looking at the dirtyair set up. I see that they have an upgrade where they add extra weld to the bolt eyelets on shocks. Is this really necessary? If not then the DIY mod would be cheaper. Has anyone had problems with it not being reinforced? I am guessing that you have to buy or make a mounting bracket for air pump to go behind the saddle bag on a 14 and up ABS brake system?

DIY Air Ride

The eyelets have snapped off without the weld from what I understand

Sent from the mobile leash

Are people still having clearance issues with this set up? On a 2014 SGS w/abs? I have done so much reading I cant tell what setups are what. LOL I really don't want to have to dent in the V&H twin slash pipes I just put on. If I am remembering right the older bikes pre-14 were having this problem. Correct??

2015 SGS the shock sits on my Vance and Hines monster rounds but just on the abs side making a slight dent

I was gonna go with the platinum air ride. Talked to alot of people with air ride. They said dont waste your money. Going with a DIY air ride. Bought the Monroes and some better high grade parts. I welded the shocks. Energy bushings { You have to shave down the bushings to make them fit} Two way valve. This elimitates the the need to add another line into the system. It all mounts by the compressor. Also the fittings to the shocks. Scully Customs sells them way better then the plastic ones. And a compressor mount from Dirty Air. I wiil post pics when its all done. Here is a pic of the Compressor bracket I got from Dirty Air.
http://dirtyworks-kc.com/products/compressor-bracket

Last edited:
I'm new to this and have read hundreds of pages of forums on air ride. I have a few questions if somebody can help.

Currently I have a 2006 street glide with a 21 inch front wheel and extended bags. I weigh 240 pounds and the girlfriend weighs approximately 150 pounds.

I'm looking at going with either Dirty air or Skully air. Dirty air offers the fast up tank option as where Skully doesn't which is a feature I want.

Here's a list of my worries if somebody can please help me out.

1. Several people have stated that at full extension the dirty air and skully are both hitting either the axle nut or the mufflers. Are there any fixes for this? One person said they put lowering blocks on it to keep this from happening and haven't had any problems with it. IMO that would eliminate the safety stop feature of bottoming out in a emergency situation if you were to loose all air pressure.

2. A lot of people are saying that you have to ride at a very high air pressure which makes the ride quality very stiff and uncomfortable if riding two up with a lot of weight, is this true? I live in Indianapolis and we do a lot of street riding and touring around our state (the state with the worst and most pot hole filled roads in America) with he occasional yearly trip to the dragon.

Honestly I just want a better ride quality over the blown stock shocks and am looking at these two companies because I can not afford the shotgun system even though I would own it in a heartbeat if I could.

Thank you in advance for the replies and guidance everyone.

The eyelets have snapped off without the weld from what I understand

Sent from the mobile leash

I installed this mentioned Monroe DIY system and it works great. It has worked great for months. I just experienced a broken shock. The right side shock is broken at the top mount. The mount has broken off from the shock. Anyone else have this happen to them? Not sure what would cause the shock to break.

I’ve been running the MA785 Monroe setup on my 14’ SGS since August of 15’ and I haven’t had any problems at all other than a slow leak in the beginning but I found/fixed that and wouldn’t change a thing about it. I’m 6’6” and weigh about 315 and my wife weighs about 200 and it still rides good. She loves the ride with the shocks and the sundowner seat. Now it will bottom occasionally on some pretty bad rough places but that’s expected with both of us. It has been a great mod that we have no complaints about it at all and glad I done it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith