Exhaust reccomendations

gcnoserider

Jun 21, 2017
I have been out of "the game" for many years. I bought a new Lo Rider in '91 and had it for 5 years. I bought an '03 Softail Heritage Classic this February in immaculate condition with 24k miles. It has V&H pipes and sounds loud and mean. I just bought a '17 Street Glide Special that sounds pretty tame. Any suggestions on pipes / slip-ons would be appreciated. One person from the dealership suggested 2 into 1 with a ghost pipe. I don't necessarily have to sound loud and mean but I'd like to increase performance. I'm still a rookie so to speak but I'm stoked on riding again. Thanks! Pray for surf.

Welcome to the fun. There are more choices coming along every day for the new M8 engine.

Hi,

I went with the Vance & Hines 4" Twin Slash slip-ons. I really like the look and to me, V&H makes a very high quality product. I left the rest of the motor completely stock. The bike ran great and the pipes made the bike sound a good bit better, but it had a drone at cruising RPM's that I did not like. So, after researching a lot on the internet, I elected to try the quiet baffles that V&H offers for these slip-ons. It was the perfect solution, for me anyway.

The sound is just enough to have what I consider a 'legit' Harley sound, with no drone or excess noise. You can hear both the pipes, and the stereo. The only issue was that the baffles upped the cost of the system a bit...but in the end well worth it. If I later decide to go with a full exhaust and intake system, these will still stay on the bike.

Good luck,

JJ

I run the Rinehart Slimlines. I can't say anything bad about them. However, I would highly recommend calling Steve at Fullsac and looking at his applications. He seems to get great performance and sound from his systems. That would be where I would go based on so many other posts out there on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for S&S. Great quality, the mufflers look good against the angular line of the bags, and nice sound that's not obtrusive on a long ride - there's a video clip out there of them being road tested, that sold it for me

I went with V&H Eliminator 400s. I wanted a deeper tone, a bit more noise, but I didn't want loud when I'm highway cruising. I think these are good for that.

I ordered cfr slip one to go with power dual head pipes...I haven't heard many opinions from guys with the m8 motor, but the 103s that I have heard have a really unique deep tone, so I'm giving them a shot

I went with street cannons on my M8. Its a nice sounding bike but not to loud. I didn't want to haste with warranty issues either so going with SE was the way to go.

I run the Rinehart Slimlines. I can't say anything bad about them. However, I would highly recommend calling Steve at Fullsac and looking at his applications. He seems to get great performance and sound from his systems. That would be where I would go based on so many other posts out there on this topic.

I'll sewcond the fullsack. Have their head pipes and a set of rush slip ons and very happy with the set up and sound.
Thanks
Greg

I ordered cfr slip one to go with power dual head pipes...I haven't heard many opinions from guys with the m8 motor, but the 103s that I have heard have a really unique deep tone, so I'm giving them a shot
I did the CFR's with the Fuel Moto head pipe and it really sounds terrific!

I got a chance to hear some freedom performance slip-on recently and loved em. I don't know if the guy had any and if so which baffles in them but they had a super deep sound. No crackling sound at all, it was pure sub woofer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have the CFR's with the Fuel Moto head pipe and absolutely love them! IMHO nothing in the world sounds like them. Will admit you lose some bottom end torque which is a bit frustrating but my riding style does keep me up higher in the RPM's and just can't give up that sound. My brother in law has run them for years and chasing him around for all those years I finally broke down and put them on my 17.

S&S for me. MK45's thrusters, Deep sound and nasty when your get on them. Big cannons!!!!

D&D fat cat! Sounds great and performs excellent! Run the set up on my nightrain and FLHX

^^
Yup. D&D sound awesome!!!
Road behind the fatcat and boarzilla. Both sound absolutely awesome!!!!

I've got a pro-pipe from v&h
Love it!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo