Exhaust reccomendations

Hey Vatos.....I know it's been a while since I started this thread, I went on a 3 week surf trip to Costa Rica, got back and tweaked my back. I have some degenerative disc issues and will get spasms that will keep me down for 1-2 weeks...... but I wound up getting the V&H 400 Eliminator slip-ons. They sound better than stock and are not obnoxious.

Have the D&D Boss Fatcat with the wrapped perforated baffle now and love the sound. Had the perforated baffle as I ordered the wrong one so if anybody wants a deal on the slip on with the perforated baffle let me know I will make you a deal. 500 bucks from D&D new and its chrome.

I am running the D&D on 2 of my bikes. I love the way it performs and the way it sounds.

Well I called Harley Davidson and talked to them about this stuff. I didn't call a dealer but I called The Harley Davidson Motor Company. They told me I could do anything I wanted to my bike and before they could deny my warranty, they would have to prove that my modifications caused a problem to the bike. They didn't say that a dealer could or could not modify my bike. We didn't go down that road. But my warranty, according to them, will be in effect unless my mods cause the bike to malfunction and they wouldn't warranty that particular problem. So, if you people have questions about said warranty being denied due to modifications, I say give them a call. (NOT A DEALER) The dealers are not on the same page concerning the warranty.

Well I called Harley Davidson and talked to them about this stuff. I didn't call a dealer but I called The Harley Davidson Motor Company. They told me I could do anything I wanted to my bike and before they could deny my warranty, they would have to prove that my modifications caused a problem to the bike. They didn't say that a dealer could or could not modify my bike. We didn't go down that road. But my warranty, according to them, will be in effect unless my mods cause the bike to malfunction and they wouldn't warranty that particular problem. So, if you people have questions about said warranty being denied due to modifications, I say give them a call. (NOT A DEALER) The dealers are not on the same page concerning the warranty.

Doesn't make sense. The dealer is reimbursed for warranty work. Why wouldn't they say the same thing as the Motor Co.?

Doesn't make sense. The dealer is reimbursed for warranty work. Why wouldn't they say the same thing as the Motor Co.?

I cannot answer that for you. Different dealers will tell you different stuff concerning the warranty. All I know is after I talked to moco, I changed my exhaust and I am running a power vision tuner. According to them that does not void my warranty.

Anyone here running the Fuel Moto 2-1-2 Jackpot head pipes? I like the idea of being able to reuse the OEM heat shields. Plus everyone here says their customer service is spot-on.

I have seen other years using them and at some point they were ceramic coated. I'm guessing they not longer do that. If anyone has them can you share any install tips like which type of exhaust gasket used, any clearance issues and fitment etc...

I noticed in the pictures on their website and install video on YouTube the crossover pipe has the same profile as the stock one... flattened, but uses the stock mounting bracket. I would think there would still be some restriction with this configuration. Do most of them have this, or are some companies doing round crossover pipes? What's the different between the two?

Just wanting to make a well informed decision and get as much information as I can on pipes before making a final call on which ones. Thanks...Mike

Sometimes it's better to go right to the source, thanks singlebeam.

I'll take a look. Thanks...Mike

I reached out to them for some more info on their pipe that you can't get by looking at a couple pictures. I really like the idea of the crossover pipe being round compared to the flattened profile with 90 degree bends.

The price is a bit aggressive at 699.00 when using the OEM heat shields. Which is something I really like. The factory look...

Very happy with my Rinehart 4.5's. New style for '17 and not obnoxious.

Ditto, went with Rineharts head pipe to. I leave at 5:30 AM and try to keep peace with the neighbors. These are not too loud starting or at idle. Nice sound when you get on it.

What you are saying is true as long as the bike remains EPA compliant. As part of the EPA settlement, Harley-Davidson has agreed to discontinue producing or selling Screamin’ Eagle Race Tuners and is now forced to void the powertrain warranty on any vehicles found to not be EPA compliant. This is also true for any non-EPA compliant exhaust, air cleaner, or performance engine kits.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harley-davidson-clean-air-act-settlement

Read the EPA settlement, no where does it say HD will void warranties. They got in trouble for selling non-EPA tuners. They are required to buy them back. I spoke to my local dealer and HD, both same the same thing. They will only void a warranty if a non HD part causes a failure.

However, what they are required to do is notify the EPA if you are running a non-EPA compliant tuner.

Too many people have been fear mongering this. HD knows their customer base and will simply comply with EPA, they do not want to harm their customers.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harley-davidson-clean-air-act-settlement

Read the EPA settlement, no where does it say HD will void warranties. They got in trouble for selling non-EPA tuners. They are required to buy them back. I spoke to my local dealer and HD, both same the same thing. They will only void a warranty if a non HD part causes a failure.

However, what they are required to do is notify the EPA if you are running a non-EPA compliant tuner.

Too many people have been fear mongering this. HD knows their customer base and will simply comply with EPA, they do not want to harm their customers.

Exhaust systems are considered a "tuning product" as they affect the tune of the motorcycle and contain components critical to emissions such as oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

Text directly from the EPA settlement Consent Decree paragraph 14 (for model year 2017 and later):

Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA.

b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such information.

c. No later than December 31, 2016, Defendants shall ensure that their warranty policies and product literature state that Defendants will deny warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle, Model Year 2017 or later, that was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order, or otherwise approved by EPA.

Exhaust systems are considered a "tuning product" as they affect the tune of the motorcycle and contain components critical to emissions such as oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

Text directly from the EPA settlement Consent Decree paragraph 14 (for model year 2017 and later):

Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA.

b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such information.

c. No later than December 31, 2016, Defendants shall ensure that their warranty policies and product literature state that Defendants will deny warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle, Model Year 2017 or later, that was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order, or otherwise approved by EPA.

Where does it state exhaust is a tuning product? Some exhaust may require a tune however there are many EPA compliant exhausts out there.

Like ai said I spoke with both HD and the dealer. Both stated the exact same things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does it state exhaust is a tuning product? Some exhaust may require a tune however there are many EPA compliant exhausts out there. Like ai said I spoke with both HD and the dealer. Both stated the exact same things.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2017 H-D warranty document states: "This warranty does not cover:.....a motorcycle that has been tuned using a tuner or calibration that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA."

Approved calibrations are tied to specific approved powertrain configurations. Change the exhaust to one that is not EPA approved and the calibration is then not approved.

Call H-D again and tell them you are modifying your bike in a way that violates EPA regulations and ask if your warranty will be good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith