How to install JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 LED Headlight on a 2016 Street Glide

RuknRole

Aug 23, 2016
I installed a JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 LED Headlight on my 2016 Street Glide today and decided to document the process to give something back to the forum.

You will need an LED wire harness kit to install the headlight. I purchased the one from Harley part No. 69200897

01_zpsyqw6nf2g.jpg

1. The instructions state to disconnect the battery prior to installation. However that sounds like too much work so I removed the main fuse instead.

To get to the main fuse, remove the left saddlebag and left side panel:

02_zps9iqvnk9z.jpg

03_zpsagvsgfeo.jpg

Pull the main fuse:

04_zps32txjppq.jpg

2. We can now get started removing the OEM headlight. Remove the outer ring screw located at the bottom of the outer chrome ring.

07_zpsqxdu0a5a.jpg

3. To remove the outer ring, rotate it slightly off center before pulling it off.

08_zpsplmkiz0d.jpg

09_zpsskffkxe6.jpg

Rotating it was necessary to disengage the wire clip as seen below on the inside of the outer ring.

10_zps2s8rzkbk.jpg

4. Remove the retainer ring by removing the 3 Phillips screws (Not the Torx screws; those are used to align the headlight).

11_zpsnsmmbfwk.jpg

Note: Be careful to support the light when removing the last screw so it does not fall out.

12_zps6zjwfhf2.jpg

At this point you can unplug the headlight from the harness.

5. The harness plug connector is secured to a plastic plate at the top of the headlight cavity inside the fairing by a push fastener. Pinch the end of the fastener to free it and push it down through the plate. Once it's free you can unplug the harness.

17_zpsdjgtywh6.jpg

6. Remove the push fastener from the old harness and install it on the new LED harness.

19_zpsjexchfgl.jpg

Last edited:
7. Plug the LED harness and secure the connector to the plastic plate via the push fastener.

20_zpsqtmo8lvl.jpg

8. You are now ready to plug the LED headlight and insert it back into the mounting ring. Make sure to lineup the notches on the headlight with the mounting ring.

Note: Have the retainer ring, retainer ring screws, and screwdriver at the ready. A second set of hands to hold the light while reinstalling the retainer ring will be helpful.

22_zpsmn7stv88.jpg

9. Reinstall the retainer ring and retainer screws.

10. Reinstall the main fuse.

11. At this point you will want to test the headlight to make sure it is working properly.

11. Adjust and align the light beam using the Torx screws if necessary.

24_zps9es38lnk.jpg

12. Re-install the outer ring.

13. Re-install the side panel and saddlebag.

13. Go for a ride and enjoy your new LED headlight!

27_zps99xkzajr.jpg

Last edited:
This is probably obvious to everyone, but maybe not (don't ask me how I know); it's a good idea to cover the front fender with an old bath towel or something similar in case a part or tool slips from your grasp.

Last edited:
Good write up. I've done several lights, never pulled the fuse.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Undoubtedly your pic tutorial will assist others here in the future-thx for posting!

This is probably a dumb as hell question but the old halogen head light has two plugs to un plug and the new led harness only has one plug on it so what plugs in to the other plug or does it not needed with new LED?

This is probably a dumb as hell question but the old halogen head light has two plugs to un plug and the new led harness only has one plug on it so what plugs in to the other plug or does it not needed with new LED?

You have to buy a harness that swaps with the 2 plug harness. Its 12-16 bucks depending on were you get it. His pictures show the install of the harness as well

You will need an LED wire harness kit to install the headlight. I purchased the one from Harley part No. 69200897

Luv these forums! There is so much information to assist us on here! Keep it up folks!!:cool:

In your video, you fitted the "flux capacitor" lead :D My bike is a 2015 like yours. Do you know if you definitely have to fit that lead? I have no idea what it does.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah! Just found this about similar leads for cars:

When LED kit is installed in newer car models or cars with a computer controlled unit CAN BUS, often there is a error code showing on the dash board or the lights keep flickering and would not stay on. This is due to the fact that the LED kit is triggering a bulb out warning signal in your car's computer control unit.

The following problems will be solved:

1. The indicator of the instrument panel lights when the headlight is used as Fault Light.*
2. The indicator of the instrument panel doesn't light when the headlight is used as High Beam.*
3. The LED lights flash when starting the engine.
4. The engine stops working when turning on the LED lights.*
5. Eliminate the interference of the Ballast to the trip computer.*
6. Xenon lights don't light.*
7. LED lights keep flashing after installation.*
8. One of the LED lights works, but the other one doesn't.*
9. LED lights automatically turn off after lighting up for few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469