My bike will only start in neutral

Same problem no start in gear...left side control module back ordered....two weeks and counting....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Same problem no start in gear...left side control module back ordered....two weeks and counting....

Odd. I called Thursday and scottsdale said they had one and they weren't back ordered. He managed to get it held for me and it goes in Monday.

I didn't even go into detail when I called, just said "bike won't start in gear" and he immediately went looking up the switch pack.

PS lurching while starting in gear is normal. The clutch plates will dry and grab while off. If you've had the bike sitting for more than a day, I would put it in neutral.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

f2a9b97a4eb52efbdfcb37d312dab369.jpg

25b1d82038e72568ea87a07efc73e629.jpg

A sea of bike sitting out back "waiting for parts" i snapped after two weeks and pulled it out of there.
I bought the bike last September with 6500 km it now has 12000 km.
I just need the no start in gear issue and a front plug wire wearing on the gas tank.
No parts nothing done.
They push all those bikes in and out every day.....so now they get to paint my left saddle bag and lid.....not real good backed it into another bike. .[emoji35]

Last edited:
I had my left handle bar switch pack replaced twice under warranty for not starting in gear. I have a 2016 FLHXS with 15,00 miles on it now, I bought it new.

I had this issue with my bike and had the switch pack replaced under warranty.
About 1 month later, it happened again.
I read on another forum that it is caused by dirt and grime getting in there and the plunger not pressing the switch.
After i gave it a good shot of water from the hose, i sprayed a touch of WD-40 in there, and it has NEVER happened again.
Give it a shot, I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I spray a little PowerBlaster in the clutch lever pivot area and it goes away(for awhile, anyway)!

I used WD-40 one time on the clutch handle switch-no issues since. :cool:

My last 3 Harleys would only start in neutral. I thought it was a new safety feature (lol). I always put it in neutral when I park it so this is not an issue for me.

That's great as long as you never kill the engine in an busy intersection! They are supposed to start in gear, get it fixed!

Fishin is right. This happened to me and I was really pissed because what if I stalled out, or any other happenstance other than starting the bike parked.
Ended up it was the aftermarket clutch lever I installed. Adjusted to the way I like it, it works fine pulling the clutch in to shift BUT... there is a tiny button the lever touches. Ends up even engaged, the bike doesn't allow to start. Don't ask why, I didn't design it. But adjusting the lever back worked. There is also a tip done where you add a washer to this button. I didn't do that but there may be a tip technique somewhere for that.
But I completely agree that it is a safety issue.

Where is this black tab at?

Bump cause this thread just helped me.

I was having strange issues with the idle dropping really low after I pull in the clutch (pull in the clutch while coasting, it would drop to 500-700rpm then blip back up to 1200 before settling out) and no day noticed I couldn't start in gear. Also when slowing down with the clutch pulled in, it kept showing me random gear #s on the speedometer. Pulled in the clutch, used a screwdriver to let it snap back out a few time and viola! Both issues fixed. I can start it as I please and it doesn't hunt.

if it happens again I'll take her in. If Harley has to warranty enough of these maybe they'll do a recall. Wishful thinking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brandon1165