My new 2017 FLHXS wow!

MysticPurple

Sep 25, 2016
I'll start by saying I have owned an 883, 80CI Evo Bad Boy Springer, FXDWG2 CVO 88 TC, and just traded in my 8 yr old 96ci TC Springer Cross Bones for a New Street Glide. This is the first Bagger I've ever owned.

FLHXS17.jpg

It is the best HD I have ever owned (500 miles so far). The engine will stay bone stock. Probably the best sounding stock pipes of any I have owned, Nice mellow low rumble but not loud as most like. Experience has shown me that upgrades like stage 1 breather, CPU and pipe upgrades may sound nice and give you a slight performance boost when twisting the grip hard, but compromise the ride at modest cruising. (there's no black soot all over the back of the bags and exhaust either, and you don't piss off your neighbors when your rolling in after midnite as well.)

At idle the vibe is much less but still enough to have the feel that you are strattling a V twin and not a sewing machine. I never rode previous year models so I can't compare the ride improvements but it is a huge difference and seems more nimble and confident than any HD I've owned. I don't want to get off of it. :D

Plenty of power. I can't find the sweet spot regarding speed vs rpm because it has a wide sweet range. You can cruise at 45 mph in 6 gear at low rpm and twist the grip and it rolls right up to speed without lugging, shifts smoother, decelerates smoother, mirrors aren't blurry, and starts effortlessly. The charging system is stronger (15V) so it charges better at idle. With previous TC equipped bikes I've owned, I never used 6th gear until I wound it up to 70 mph or more, and always required down shifting at turnpike speeds to pass traffic.

I had cruise control on at 75mph/6th gear, in the left lane on the turnpike when I found myself being tail gated. I didn't need to downshift, but wanted to wind it up a bit since I was being conservative for the first few hundred miles. I banged the shifter and twisted the grip, when I banged it into 6th and looked at the speedo shortly thereafter, I was just under 100mph and I switched lanes and backed it down. It really didn't seem I was going that fast, no wobble or anything like that and still very smooth other than the increased wind. It's real easy to find yourself at 80mph before you know it!

I upgraded to a 7.5in windsplitter HD windshield as i'm 6'2" and need a little more than the stock 4" flat windshield offered. Another inch or 2 taller would be even better and I could still see over it. I like the sleek curves look of the wind splitter and with the little flip up at the top it functions like a taller flat shield but offers the lower profile.

I don't know why I'm here, I should get my gear on and get out on the road!

Edit: just came back from a ride and made note of a few more things.
55 mph/5th gear=2500 rpm
78 mph/6th gear=3000 rpm
100 mph/6th gear =4000 rpm

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new Glide. Sounds like you got bitten by the bug real good!

Let us know how that windshield works when you're going 60 mph+. Bet the wind hits you right in the teeth.

Congratulations on the new bike have heard good things about them.

Congrats on your new ride and the color is awesome.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're happy man .. good for you and congrats!! I'm 6'3" and went with www.longrideshields.com 9" with recurve .. works great and can see over it just fine. I didn't care for the 10" windsplitter .. a little too flimsy for me. RIDE SAFE!!IMG_1613.jpg

Sounds like you're happy man .. good for you and congrats!! I'm 6'3" and went with www.longrideshields.com 9" with recurve .. works great and can see over it just fine. I didn't care for the 10" windsplitter .. a little too flimsy for me. RIDE SAFE!!

I also bought the LRS 9" with recurve and I am also 6'3" tall. Perfect height for me. Wind noise in my ears was terrible with the stock shield.

I could not resist and ordered an LRS Ultra Elite 8" Light Tint.
I'm going to need a second job if I keep hanging around this place!
Looking forward to testing it.

Did we forget to tell you to hide your wallet RunRole this is a place we upgrade everything ha ha ha ha ha ha

I also just turned over 500 miles on mine this weekend. Very happy with the changes over my previous twincam engine. Smoother, and quieter, but still clearly a Harley. Still some heat issues on the right side passenger's leg, but only when she was wearing shorts. Only change I'm making is going to be a 7" aero windshield from Fast Aire to see if I can smooth out the highway buffeting. I'm only 5'9" so hope that improves it. After riding a lot of highway at over 80mph this weekend it wasn't bad, but seems like it could be improved. Loving the suspension, and getting used to the clutch, finally. Took my 07 Softail to the grocery store this weekend after a lot of time on the Street Glide, and it makes you truly appreciate all the Glide has to offer.

I'm at 800 miles on my 8-Valve. While I baby new engines, it seems to have as much pull as my 103" TC Dyna Switchback I traded. Harley's engineers deserve a round of beers for addressing the heat issues. I like the return to single cam, but I will always be a Shovel/Evo guy at heart.

While I would rather see the cam gear driven, especially considering that the balancer is gear driven, at least the lone front tensioner will be stone simple to replace, unlike the inner one on the TC. IMO, it is simple economics, because the chain driven cams allows sloppier flywheel trueness tolerances. I believe Evo flywheel runout spec was .002". It's much less time consuming to only have to hold it within .012".

Nonetheless, I give the 8-Valve an enthusiastic thumbs up, and the fuel mileage is actually slightly better than my 100# less Dyna with the 103" TC. Yeah, the '17 SG is a great bike and rides like a Caddy.

...Only change I'm making is going to be a 7" aero windshield from Fast Aire to see if I can smooth out the highway buffeting. I'm only 5'9" so hope that improves it. After riding a lot of highway at over 80mph this weekend it wasn't bad, but seems like it could be improved...

I'm 5'9 with a 31" inseam and although a 7" Windspliter helped tremendously I'm upgrading to an 8". The wind hit me on the forehead. Just food for thought.

I was actually looking for a Road King in Hard Candy Red and could not find one. I didn't care for the taller handle bars on the RK I took for a test ride. So I called around and went to another dealer to see the Hard Candy Red in person (SGS) before making a decision to order what I wanted.

I walked in to the showroom and saw the SGS in Hard Candy Purple Center Stage and the RK was history. I liked the SGS handle bars better as well as the infotainment and Navigation that has come in handy.
The linked ABS is a plus too........no need to use my foot brake in stop and go traffic.

Nice scoots and i like the colors too. I just got my 2015 how i like it and they come out with the 107, the wife will not be pleased if i pull the trigger. Maybe i could hide it til spring! Be safe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith