My new 2017 FLHXS wow!

Nice scoots and i like the colors too. I just got my 2015 how i like it and they come out with the 107, the wife will not be pleased if i pull the trigger. Maybe i could hide it til spring! Be safe.

It worked for me! well sort of... I recently traded in my 16 breakout for the new street glide special. the breakout was a "surprise" purchase earlier in the year. (I already had two other bikes in the garage) I was in the dog house for the entire weekend but at the end she came around and decided she wanted to take up riding too. (obviously I said no problem.)

then when the M8s came out, it wasn't easy convincing her to do a swap but I did and now i'm eagerly waiting for my new bike to arrive. Ordered it with a stage 1 and some other misc items. Should be here in a few weeks. On that note, one of the service guys confirmed a known issue with one of the oil line connections. apparently they come with some cheap clip on hose clips that need to be replaced with a better screw on worm clip. other than that, they have not experienced any service issues with the 30+ bikes they have sold in the last month. Many have already done their 5000 mile service.

Since I promised an update on the '17 SGS, here it goes:

I did the 1,000 mile using (mostly) lubes from my favorite indy shop. He recommends Spectro 75-140 6 Speed Formula in the transmission, and Amsoil 20-50 in the primary and the engine. I did as he said, with the exception of the engine, as I had enough Syn3 to service the engine. I had an extra filter for my TC, and the 8-Valve uses the same one. The tranny seems a little quieter, although I may try loosening the belt a hair when I pull the exhaust to either install the V&H duals or gut the converter. The clutch also felt a little better. FYI, I would suggest saving your money and not buying the oil filter drain funnel from H-D for the 8-Valve. The instructions state to rotate the funnel 30-deg. from horizontal and maneuver it into position. After fifteen minutes of cussing, I grabbed the one for my Twin Cam, and it worked great.

Now with 1,500 miles on the bike, I did the heavy breather and the SE Street tuner this past weekend. The intake noise is nice (to me), and the tuner gives much better throttle response. The SE drivers for the tuner took me 45-minutes to download, and the infamous "Microsoft has detected a problem and is closing the program" occurred three times when trying to download the data from the acquisition ride. After exhausting my vast vocabulary, the fourth try took. For someone as computer illiterate as myself, the software does a good job of guiding you through the process. Again, I was impressed with the improvement in throttle response. Although the overall idle speed increased by roughly 25-50 RPM, the engine doesn't keep hunting for an idle speed, and the fear of killing the engine when taking off is gone.

I am overall very pleased with the bike (with the exception of the payment book). When doing my data acquisition ride, which was the first time I stood on it, I was mostly watching the tach while trying to not get killed by cagers; and I was shocked a few times when seeing 90-plus on the speedo. I think this thing pulls just as hard as my Dyna Switchback, which was a good 100# lighter. I led a ride with two friends the previous weekend, because I have the moving map and cruise, and they commented that they had trouble keeping up when I took off, and I was trying to take it easy. If I don't have any oil leaks, which I am closely watching, I can honestly say I am in love with this bike. I will love it even more when I can hear it better.

Safe rides to all, as our long range forecast is suggesting that four-letter "s" word. The joys of living in the Upper Midwest.

great report. good tip on the oil drain funnel. as for the oil change. I was told you can use Amsoil 25w 50 synthetic on all three. I was thinking about doing that even before the first 500 mile service. heard horror stories about metal shavings and stuff found during first oil change. I'd rather get rid of all that stuff early if possible. thoughts about doing it earlier?

my SGS should be here in a few weeks. hopefully the weather will not dive to the teens before then. it will have the stage 1 w/SE street cannons, air intake, tuner, etc. I wasn't sure about that combo since many were saying sound was deeper but still close to stock. my 16 Breakout has the cobra short swept exhaust and it's very loud. maybe too loud. neighbors have said they could feel the vibrations whenever i'm around. i think i'll tone it down a bit with this one but will experiment with baffles and stuff to get the right sound.

Thanks for the response, drod. In the Evo days, we did our break in oil change at (as I recall) 600 miles. The Twin Cam went to a much finer oil filter media, so from then on Mother H-D recommended 1,000 miles. I found very few chips on the magnetic drain plugs for the primary and the tranny on the '17 Glide. Of course, I found nothing on the engine's drain plug, although I now wish I had dissected the oil filter to check the pleats for metal. I may do that next time; and since we already send out oil samples for our airplane to watch for trends, I may send one out the next time I change oil in the Glide's engine.

I asked the indy shop I went to about Amsoil's new formulations for the primary and tranny. They are so new that he said he just received a flyer about them and wasn't stocking them yet. He was very persuasive about the Spectro 6-Speed formulation for the tranny, since he commented on how many of his customers said it reduced gear noise. I think this is a "to each his own" type of deal as long as one buys quality lubes formulated for our rides, although my bike will never see dino oil again.

As far as the exhaust, I am running non-baffled stockers that I sent to American Custom, and it's still too quiet for me with the converter in the headpipe. I tried the SE slip-ons, and they were way too quiet. I would agree that they are barely louder than stock at cruising throttle. Although they sounded a little better than stock when going though the gears, they ironically they sounded the best to me when letting off the throttle. I now just have to decide if I'm going to gut the converter in the stock headpipe or go with V&H duals. Have fun experimenting with the sound of your bike and making it your own. That's half the fun of getting a new bike to me; and like they say, "The bike purchase is just the entrance fee."

Amsoil's new case specific Harley formulations is over a year old now, and what a difference it made in my 2017. Smoother shifting, better clutch feel/engagement.

Installed this in my Engine. Link

Installed this in my Primary Case. Link

Installed this in my transmission. Link

Last edited:
Thanks for the Amsoil links, Unleashed. The Spectro tranny oil was nearly $20 vs. Amsoil's $14.55. Although I am not seeing any viscosity info on Amsoil's tranny fluid, I will do some research.

thanks for the links. new bike should arrive within the next two weeks. my plan is to take her out for a decent 100+ mile ride, check for any leaks, etc and then change all three oils.

Thanks for the viscosity links and the link to the membership plan for Amsoil, Unleashed. I will strongly consider joining, especially if my indy shop doesn't get the compartment-specific fluids.

BTW, since you are in Panhandle, I have a biker buddy who sold his business and decided he didn't want to deal with the Northern Indiana winters anymore. He and his wife relocated to Niceville about ten years ago, and she works at Eglin. Although I miss them, their move likely saved my liver.

BTW, since you are in Panhandle, I have a biker buddy who sold his business and decided he didn't want to deal with the Northern Indiana winters anymore. He and his wife relocated to Niceville about ten years ago, and she works at Eglin. Although I miss them, their move likely saved my liver.

I live about 1 hour's drive from Niceville, and yes....we can ride year round with the exception of 2-3 weeks out of the year that are just too cold no matter the time of day.

Maybe I will look into the Panhandle when I retire. Riding and VFR flying year around would be a dream come true. I imagine the only drawback would be a lot of potentially restricted airspace in that area due to Eglin.

New M8 Streetglide here. My 2013 Streetglide was hit by a car last month and totalled, I repaced it with a new 2017 with the Stage 3 engine package and absolutly love it. The power is great and the bike is just all around more refined.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith