Opinion on the EITMS

jjgi5150

Mar 25, 2017
Hi all,

Well, with just over 1,100 miles on my new SGS, I finally could not stand it anymore and shut off the annoying EITMS today.

I suppose it is of some help in cooling the motor in very hot weather and stop and go traffic, but I found the "Enabled" position, with it's surges, stumbles and sound to be very annoying while driving. I live in the very hot SoCal desert, and in the summer months we generally only ride in the early morning or after dark. I will probably be leaving it Enabled during the summer, but now that it is cooling down, off it stays.

I cannot express how much more I enjoyed the ride today with it Disabled.

Take care,

JJ

I was back and forth with it. I finally enabled it and got used to it when it got hot.
I am installing mighty mites this winter and will disable it for good.

Disabled it after I stalled twice taking off from a light. Unless you blip the throttle it won't be happy on a take off. And in stop/go traffic, it's never active enough to really make a difference to me.

I did have it enabled recently to great success. Highway out of town got shut down due to a car fire. I sat idling for about 10 minutes and it really did get cooler. Of course the wards fans were running too but I could feel a lack of thigh roasting while sitting there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On my other bike I have a lcd temp gauge and when it is enabled it would only cool down the motor 2-3 degrees which IMO is not even close to being worth it.

It may have only cooled 2 or 3 degrees, but I think it probably kept the engine temp from rising from rolling temp.

Mine shows up on screen as "disabled"-I don't even know how to "enable" it.
Except for dragging my feet through downtown Sturgis I doubt I'd ever need it anyway...

Twist the throttle forward until the cruise light comes on yellow. Release and do it again. It will be green this time and show on screen as enabled.

Don't forget eitms shuts off the rear jug, your engine temp sensor is in the front head. To me it's just not active often enough to make a difference when commuting (by difference I don't mean just engine temp, but rider comfort. After all ain't eitms a rider comfort feature?). If I'm crawling down the freeway and I'm only stopped for a few seconds at a time, it too is only active a few seconds at a time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I only use mine when the outside temps get above 95 degrees. When monitoring the engine temp with my FP3 my bike never got about 276 degrees in traffic. These bikes are designed to handle the heat.

Disabled it after I stalled twice taking off from a light. Unless you blip the throttle it won't be happy on a take off. And in stop/go traffic, it's never active enough to really make a difference to me....

This. Mine is also disabled.

So this EITMS can be turned off permanently? How? I turn it off by rolling the throttle the opposite and it turns off and few days or a week later it's on again....

So this EITMS can be turned off permanently? How? I turn it off by rolling the throttle the opposite and it turns off and few days or a week later it's on again....

It should stay off if you perform the process correctly but that's not saying much. My radio goes to CB sometimes when I start up and I have never used that.

EITMS will never "cool down" a Harley motor. Once it gets heat soaked the only cure to "cool down" is to shut it down.

I have oil cooler on my bike so I just keep EITMS off, sounds very annoying when it goes into EITMS mode.

IMO oil coolers do very little. The engine heats way too rapidly for the oil to absorb the heat efficiently in traffic or moving slowly. Even the fancy models with fans show insignificant decreases in -engine temp-.
Notice I said -engine temp-. The few degrees of oil temp drop the manufactures advertise on these devices cant help cool two huge cylinders producing tons of heat

I disagree as I use UltraCool and it never goes over temp that they claim even in AZ heat, the fan keeps the bike cooler. Now that I have performance upgrade done it really comes in handy. I totally recommend oil cooler.

I'm not gonna dispute your claims BD. If it works for you that's awesome. Ive been very surprised to see the oil temp/eng temp relationship since adding a oil temp gauge. My oil temps don't climb at nowhere near the rate of engine temp. Almost like there is very little relationship. Based on my findings, bringing oil temp down 30 degs wont translate in to a 30deg drop in eng temp.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy2000