Opinion on the EITMS

Fair enough.....I am just sharing what I am finding, nothing else......oil cooler help my bike stay cooler........

I've never used mine until today. I read this thread yesterday and thought I would try it out. Didn't notice a difference. Turned it back off. Shut the bike off and parked it. About 15 mins later took it for a little ride. Now my bike doesn't have the normal idle of about 800-850. It now idles at almost 1800 rpm's. I have to push the throttle forward to idle normal. Any idea what's wrong? Have about 2500 miles. Bringing it by the dealer tomorrow.

I've never used mine until today. I read this thread yesterday and thought I would try it out. Didn't notice a difference. Turned it back off. Shut the bike off and parked it. About 15 mins later took it for a little ride. Now my bike doesn't have the normal idle of about 800-850. It now idles at almost 1800 rpm's. I have to push the throttle forward to idle normal. Any idea what's wrong? Have about 2500 miles. Bringing it by the dealer tomorrow.

Before you take it to the dealer, try resetting the idle using the following method:

3. Turn ignition ON for 10 seconds.
4. Turn Ignition OFF for 20 seconds.
5. Turn Ignition ON for 10 seconds.
6. Turn Ignition OFF for 20 seconds.
7. Repeat steps #5 and #6 at least 4 times.

If this doesn't work then my guess is your TPS might be bad. I've seen this happen before on a 2016 SGS with low miles

Hey man thanks! I tried it but at first the steady idle rpms were about 1200 but found out the EITMS was enabled again. Redid the sequence and when for a decent ride and now it seems normal. Appreciate the reply.

Before you take it to the dealer, try resetting the idle using the following method:

3. Turn ignition ON for 10 seconds.
4. Turn Ignition OFF for 20 seconds.
5. Turn Ignition ON for 10 seconds.
6. Turn Ignition OFF for 20 seconds.
7. Repeat steps #5 and #6 at least 4 times.

If this doesn't work then my guess is your TPS might be bad. I've seen this happen before on a 2016 SGS with low miles

Hey man thanks! I tried it but at first the steady idle rpms went to about 1200. I checked and but found out the EITMS was enabled again. Redid the sequence again with the EITMS off and went for a decent ride and now it seems normal. Appreciate the reply.

Last edited:
I don't think it's designed to cool the bike as much as it's designed to keep from getting hotter. So you likely won't see temp. drop as much as temp. stabilizing if that makes sense.

Hi all,

Well, since I started this, I would like to add some more info. I rode the SGS for a good hour a few days ago. Since it has really cooled down here in the SoCal desert (the mid 80 to low 90's), it was an extremely enjoyable ride with the EITMS disabled. My other issue is that when I switch back and forth between my stage 1 '13 Breakout and the SGS, I found it very disturbing to feel the difference between the two rides.

My '13 Breakout runs like a perfect machine. It's PV mapping from Jamie at Fuel Moto, with tweaks I added after installing it, have given me a near perfect riding condition. Then, when switching to the SGS when the EITMS was enabled, it was just so annoying that I could hardly stand how it sounded and felt. In addition, the way the clutch engages on the SGS is totally opposite of the Breakout. My SGS clutch is very engagement sensitive, and it's engagement point is at the total opposite point of the Breakout. This made it even more annoying to ride.

I just thought I would clarify some of my feelings/experiences on this issue. I still love the SGS, and I hope it continues to run as it has been. Now that it's cooled off, I''ll be putting more miles on it and really see how it plays out. I bought it for taking longer rides, sometimes with a passenger and mostly solo, and so far I am still liking it alot.

I worry a bit about it being a 'first year' model, and reading some of the problems with oil bleed over and such, but thus far I've had no problems. I even missed out having any issue with the stupid oil line clamps.

Time will tell, but so far so good!

JJ

IMG_0024.jpg

Installed mighty mites today. I'll post effect on eitms when I go on my next road trip.

No frame mount. I figure they manufacture and sell it for HD installation so it should be suitable as sold. If I had went with their heavier fans I definitely would have considered it. I will keep an eye on it but it doesn't vibrate bad and looks and feels like a solid install.

No frame mount. I figure they manufacture and sell it for HD installation so it should be suitable as sold. If I had went with their heavier fans I definitely would have considered it. I will keep an eye on it but it doesn't vibrate bad and looks and feels like a solid install.

I spoke with Steve West and he highly recommended the frame mount for touring models like ours....especially for those with performance upgrades. He mentioned that frame mount will remove 90% of the vibrations and fans will last a lot longer....so I ordered it.

I'll add the frame mount in January if I have 2nd thoughts. Let me know if it is a pain to install. I thought I had heard you have to remove the brace between the Jugs. I didn't like the sound of that to much.

I'll add the frame mount in January if I have 2nd thoughts. Let me know if it is a pain to install. I thought I had heard you have to remove the brace between the Jugs. I didn't like the sound of that to much.

I am not sure but when I get it I will know more, but I am with you on not having the mount for jugs. I also read like yourself that Mighty Mite has vibration damper already built-in for touring model so I was wondering why Steve West highly recommended me to get that also. But he did say, if I am not happy with it I can ship it back and he'll refund me including shipping so nothing to lose I guess.

hulkss, did you use frame mount on your setup?

I've had the EITMS enabled since May here in GA. Found you shouldn't blip the throttle before taking off, at least on my SGS. An even throttle increase and clutch let off and you're off. Blipping the throttle seemed to confuse the engine/clutch coordination and it looks like a kid learning to use the clutch, and of course everyone is watching. Had a fellow tell me to turn it off too so I could have smooth launches off the line but it just didn't work for me. The strange thing is that it was disabled from the dealer.

To early to have an opinion on mighty mites but I was surprised that the eitms came on at the 1st red light
about 2 miles from the house. Ambient temp was 82 degrees. I wonder if eitms is triggered by idle time?

To early to have an opinion on mighty mites but I was surprised that the eitms came on at the 1st red light
about 2 miles from the house. Ambient temp was 82 degrees. I wonder if eitms is triggered by idle time?

I believe a rep on another forum said your EITMS should never kick on again with these. I'm not positive but I thought on the 2014 and later touring models it is supposed to kick on when above 80 degrees since the EITMS is designed for rider comfort and not for cooling the motor. I believe it says something along those lines in your manual.

I'll have to do some winter reading. I am disabling my eitms and will monitor engine temps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo