Primary overfilled ???

Larry37807

Jul 17, 2016
I had my 2018 SGS in for its 5,000 mile service and they found that the primary was overfilled. It appears that the trans is allowing oil to go for it to the primary side. I was told H-D is aware of this and "monitoring" it. Did not find any issues at the 10,000 mile service but was wondering how many others have experienced this.

Will keep an eye on mine. So far the tranny is not losing any fluid but I’ve only just passed the 2500mi mark..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently did my own 5K. I measured each hole contents as I changed the fluids. All was correct on my M8. I've read where the Motor CO. is aware but does not have a fix as of yet. And, it only occurs in some engines. :confused:

Mine is suffering from this. I can't go further then 300 miles without the trans being low enough that it won't show up on the dipstick. Harley flew a tech in to install a "kit". I had to drop the bike off again yesterday, same problem 300 miles later. They have told me to ride it and keep checking fluids, this is BS, I'll call the main office and tell them to fix it or buy it back. I've done 8,000 miles in 5 months, I ride to much to put up with this garbage. F

Mine is suffering from this. I can't go further then 300 miles without the trans being low enough that it won't show up on the dipstick. Harley flew a tech in to install a "kit". I had to drop the bike off again yesterday, same problem 300 miles later. They have told me to ride it and keep checking fluids, this is BS, I'll call the main office and tell them to fix it or buy it back. I've done 8,000 miles in 5 months, I ride to much to put up with this garbage. F

You bought a touring bike. This problem precludes you from touring. You’re actually on solid grounds for a lemon law buy back if MoCo can’t get you healed. The few cases where I’ve heard of actual success required getting a law office involved. So keep accurate records in case you need to hand them over to a lawyer..

I had my 2018 SGS in for its 5,000 mile service and they found that the primary was overfilled. It appears that the trans is allowing oil to go for it to the primary side. I was told H-D is aware of this and "monitoring" it. Did not find any issues at the 10,000 mile service but was wondering how many others have experienced this.

So to clarify; you had the issue at 5,000 miles but it went away at 10,000 miles?

I took the bike in for its 10,000 mile service and they told me there was not a problem with the amounts of oil on each side. To be honest, I did not check the oil levels before turning it in. I now have just shy of 14,000 miles and will check it when I get to my garage later and post results.

So to clarify; you had the issue at 5,000 miles but it went away at 10,000 miles?

I just checked the oil level in the trans. It is exactly where it should be according to the manual. All appears to be normal. I do know that they changed the oil to a different brand when they changed it out at 5,000 miles.

I wonder how many of the bikes with this tranny problem are using Syn 3?

Looks like yours is healed?

I am using Syn 3 and Amsoil 75-140 gear lube. I checked my receipts and it appeared to be over filled at the 10,000 mile service. I took it back 1,000 miles later to get the levels checked and it appeared to still be correct. I checked it last evening and it was on the mark. I assume that the Amsoil 75-140 is in the trans and that was what creeped into the primary. The engine oil is Syn 3. Hopefully my assumptions are correct.

Primary overfilled ???

OK, now right at 4K miles I find out that my bike has pushed @ 4oz of tranny oil into my primary. I had the dealer put Spectra 75/140 at the 1k service. So that means it pushed 4oz in 3k miles. I drained everything today and found @ 36oz (should be 32) in my primary and @ 24oz (should be 28) in my tranny. I went back with Amsoil 75/140 in the tranny.

I have a trip this weekend or I would have taken it to the dealer today. I’ll talk to them next week.

Bummer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am experiencing the same trans oil transfer. Did my 1000 mile service and there was more than 40 oz of oil in the primary. Drained the trans and there was only 20 oz. Took it in to the dealer they checked filled both holes and told me not to check it and bring it back in 500 miles. Brought it back in 400 and there was 40 oz again in the primary and 20 in the trans. The dealer called Harley tech and the dealer installed the oil slinger--Harley's fix. I was told to ride it 500 miles bring it back in. Brought in at 270 miles and there was 50 oz of oil in the primary and 8 in the trans. Dealer called Harley tech and was told to top off and for me to bring it back in 5000 miles??????? and not to check the level myself. Dealer told me the trans probably wont last 5000 miles but for warranty they have to follow Harleys recommendation. I got the reference number and called Harley Customer Service I couldn't get an answer and was told someone would call me back tomorrow. I can't believe that a Harley Tech Service guy could be such an idiot. I ride about 7000 milers a year and at this point I have no confidence in my bike.

I am experiencing the same trans oil transfer. Did my 1000 mile service and there was more than 40 oz of oil in the primary. Drained the trans and there was only 20 oz. Took it in to the dealer they checked filled both holes and told me not to check it and bring it back in 500 miles. Brought it back in 400 and there was 40 oz again in the primary and 20 in the trans. The dealer called Harley tech and the dealer installed the oil slinger--Harley's fix. I was told to ride it 500 miles bring it back in. Brought in at 270 miles and there was 50 oz of oil in the primary and 8 in the trans. Dealer called Harley tech and was told to top off and for me to bring it back in 5000 miles??????? and not to check the level myself. Dealer told me the trans probably wont last 5000 miles but for warranty they have to follow Harleys recommendation. I got the reference number and called Harley Customer Service I couldn't get an answer and was told someone would call me back tomorrow. I can't believe that a Harley Tech Service guy could be such an idiot. I ride about 7000 milers a year and at this point I have no confidence in my bike.

That’s nuts. Why would HD expect you to chance destroying your tranny? I can think of a lot of scenarios where that could be dangerous. Very interested in how HD responds.

My thoughts exactly. I am waiting for a call back from Harley customer service. If they continue down this road I will demand to talk to managers and lead techs until I get a satisfactory answer and plan of repair.

My thoughts exactly. I am waiting for a call back from Harley customer service. If they continue down this road I will demand to talk to managers and lead techs until I get a satisfactory answer and plan of repair.

That is crazy! Just ride it until you breakdown and hopefully you will not be stranded to far from help??? What kind of solution is this?? Did they give you a gift card for a tow truck too??? Man I don't blame you for lack of confidence!

Btw, my HD tech put die in the tranny said run it 500 miles.

I am so glad I didn't pull the trigger on the M8. I have 2 riding buddies that are dealing with this very same problem. They have to carry oil and a wrench when we go on long road trips. What a bummer. My 2014 with 33,000 mile just runs like a rabbit. Kind of sad for what these guys are paying for these bikes and no solution in sight.

I’ve read a lot about this on different sites and feel bad for the guys dealing with it. So far at just under 10K my transmission fluid hasn’t changed at all - and I check it quite often after reading about this.

What is the constant in these fluid transfers? A certain range of production? Engine mods? Riding style? Weird problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave