Primary overfilled ???

Just had 1K mile service done on my 2019 SGS and it had the issue as well. They are ordering the vent kit but still need to prove it is an issue to the MoCo. So they put dye in the tranny so when the parts come in and they check it again they can verify. They said I had to give it another 1K miles before they can recheck it and confirm it has the issue. Not sure if I like the idea of a vent tube coming out of the back of the primary to the ground.

Curious how this is working out for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So to update my tranny fluid loss issue,checked it when i got home from work,its just under 1k miles from my winter build with macombs rod and fluid is right on the full line hasnt dropped a bit.im happy as hell right now.

Primary overfilled ???

Follow up - the Macomb’s clutch rod definitely slowed it down but it did not stop the transfer sufficiently on my bike. Called Macomb’s and talked to Greg about it. He said they’re finding that about 2% of the clutch channel bores were requiring an “oversized” rod which they have machined a bit larger in diameter than their standard fix-it rod. He said I could send mine back for a refund or do a swap. I’m into it this far with Macomb’s so I’m doing the swap. Shipped today.

Talking to Greg, it’s obvious to me that his shop seems to be on top of this problem but will stand behind his product and support the customer whichever they want go.

I’ll keep the thread updated.

OK, the clutch rod arrived today, its diameter is .368” whereas the original shaft from Macombs was .355” - a difference of .013”.

That’s a far cry from the OEM, which was .312” - or a difference of .056”. A gap that frick’n large can’t be good.. ?!

Again, an easy install. I’ll post back the results in about 500 miles.

Last edited:
I’m between 5-600 miles on the new rod and so far the tranny fluid level is holding firm!

I’m very hopeful this problem is fixed..

I hope it works out for you,sounds like it.mine has just about 1600 miles since i put it in and still on the full mark.

I hope it works out for you,sounds like it.mine has just about 1600 miles since i put it in and still on the full mark.

It looks like you’re healed bro.

I gotta good feeling I am too... thanks!

1200+ miles on the fix and it’s holding like a rock. I will stop checking so often now, it’s 100% healed. The Macomb clutch rod does in fact fix this issue.

However,

I’m at my dealer yesterday to get my sticky gas cap button swapped out before my warranty expires (the 14th!). Np, changed it no questions asked. I do have a good dealer. So I’m discussing my previous oil transfer issue with the service mgr and the owner of the dealership and though I didn’t mention the new clutch rod, I did mention I still feel compelled to check my tranny fluid all the time now.

So they tell me that the inner primary vent is now standard equipment on all new M8s. They further tell me that if I want one on mine - again no questions asked - to tell them before it goes out of warranty (2 days) and they’ll make it happen. So I decided what the hell, I’m gonna do it. Even though it ain’t leaking now, I figured if I ever decide to sell it, it’ll be there in case any prospective buyer asks. The job is set up for next week.

I know there’s some ****ty HD dealers out there but my dealer rocks. Same owners since I started riding in the early 70s!

Glad to hear you to are all fixed.its a great feeling not having to worry about how low your trans fluid is on our TOURING bikes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave