Right rear shock is upside down

It didn’t occur to me that they should be mounted any other way.

Was wondering because one of the stock shocks was mounted upside down from the dealerships to better fit docking hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgot to ask will the ohlins shocks mount right side up?

Yes the Ohlins will mount normally and the 4 point docking hardware will mount like it should, I just did the HD772’s and installed the 102’s in the front, rides and handles like it should now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the Ohlins will mount normally and the 4 point docking hardware will mount like it should, I just did the HD772’s and installed the 102’s in the front, rides and handles like it should now!

Thanks... mine should be here before the weekend!

Question for serdvd or anyone that knows. I installed the Ohlins 772 on my SGS and was wondering about the stock mounting hardware. Of course you mount them using the stock bolt. But how about the stock washer and stock split washer. The instructions don't say and I feel like if use the washer and split washer that there's too little bolt thread going into the screw hole (if you know what I mean...). I'm just using the split washer and bolt to instal the shocks.

Maybe someone can chime in? I'm planning on calling ohlins tomorrow and asking.

Question for serdvd or anyone that knows. I installed the Ohlins 772 on my SGS and was wondering about the stock mounting hardware. Of course you mount them using the stock bolt. But how about the stock washer and stock split washer. The instructions don't say and I feel like if use the washer and split washer that there's too little bolt thread going into the screw hole (if you know what I mean...). I'm just using the split washer and bolt to instal the shocks.

Maybe someone can chime in? I'm planning on calling ohlins tomorrow and asking.

This may help you

Capture.jpg

View attachment Ohlins_DTC_einbauanleitung-hd-772-englisch.pdf

Thanks... I have that paperwork. Doesn't say anything about stock mounting hardware. The diagram shows Ohlins parts only. But how about the stock hardware to mount the shocks. Stock bolt stock split washer and stock washer.... did you use all 3?

I used stock bolt with the washers that came with the shocks as in the diagram and blue lock tight

All right I just got off the phone with Ohlins USA. Apparently the shocks get made and shipped from Sweden with 8 spacer washers (4 per shock). The US based Ohlins employees I spoke to say when they do installs at bike rallies they only use two per shock. If you use 4 like in the diagram, plus the stock flat washer and split locking washer, it leaves too little thread going into the mounting hole. He said they brought it up to the main Ohlins company but it has fallen on deaf ears. He said you don't need the outer spacer washer. So the install would be the spacer washer on the inside between the mounting hole and shock. Then the sleeve that goes inside the eyelet. Followed by stock flat washer and split lock washer. So no spacer washer between the outside of the shock eyelet and the flat washer and split washer/ bolt head.

He said there's not enough bolt threads going into the mounting hole if you follow directions in manual. This is why they recommend 1 spacer on top and 1 on bottom. So this confirmed my thoughts also.

***If you have these or similar Ohlins on your street glide please check them. I'll post before and after pics once I remove that outer spacer washer.

All right I just got off the phone with Ohlins USA. Apparently the shocks get made and shipped from Sweden with 8 spacer washers (4 per shock). The US based Ohlins employees I spoke to say when they do installs at bike rallies they only use two per shock. If you use 4 like in the diagram, plus the stock flat washer and split locking washer, it leaves too little thread going into the mounting hole. He said they brought it up to the main Ohlins company but it has fallen on deaf ears. He said you don't need the outer spacer washer. So the install would be the spacer washer on the inside between the mounting hole and shock. Then the sleeve that goes inside the eyelet. Followed by stock flat washer and split lock washer. So no spacer washer between the outside of the shock eyelet and the flat washer and split washer/ bolt head.

He said there's not enough bolt threads going into the mounting hole if you follow directions in manual. This is why they recommend 1 spacer on top and 1 on bottom. So this confirmed my thoughts also.

***If you have these or similar Ohlins on your street glide please check them. I'll post before and after pics once I remove that outer spacer washer.

jm1797,
Thanks for looking out for the rest of us. I don’t remember what I used when installing, but I am definitely going to pull the bags off and check on the first day the garage is warm enough that I won’t freeze my butt off. I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know.

27076169af4708516aa41b6df1135f05.jpg

Here's the 2 spacer washers. I'm pointing at the one they advised to take out and replace with stock washer.

82ac9ae21871d7236ef7c5ce6252a529.jpg

Here's where I replaced it with the stock washer. Much more thread going into mounting hole. Now I feel better!

9b4e39548c526c76adb2346ce45c8594.jpg

Here's the bottom eyelet of the shock with both spacers.

a04113219d6f966afea9bb491c8c84d9.jpg

Here's photo after replacing it with stock washer on lower eyelet.

Hopes this helps.... check yours if you have Ohlins on your SG or call them for guidance. Not sure on other manufacturers.

I don't have those exact Ohlins but when I mounted mine I spaced so there was no binding. My Ohlins HD 022 do not swivel at the eye where the mounting bolt goes through, so to prevent premature shaft wear and for smooth operation, I had to take care when mounting. A one-fits-all mounting system might not be the correct one for your bike.

OldMike... not sure what your saying about spacing. I was talking about the 2 spacers on top and 2 on the bottom of each shock taking up too much space for the bolt to feed through and screw in far enough. This was from the installation manual but not recommended by Ohlins USA.

It is not a one-fits-all mounting system. It is specifically ordered for my touring model.

OldMike... not sure what your saying about spacing. I was talking about the 2 spacers on top and 2 on the bottom of each shock taking up too much space for the bolt to feed through and screw in far enough. This was from the installation manual but not recommended by Ohlins USA.

It is not a one-fits-all mounting system. It is specifically ordered for my touring model.

I understand completely what you did to make your bolt fit.
I'm talking about something different, I used a method so there is no binding which can cause premature shock wear. It is just a install tip for those who might care.

I can agree, my stock suspension on my 2014 SG sucks ass. Especially after riding my work bmw RT for 3 years....what’s the best aftermarket suspension setup. I’ve seen Ohlins, and progressive on here.

Am I the only one who thinks after spending 26k on a bike, the suspension should be premium quality lol

I can agree, my stock suspension on my 2014 SG sucks ass. Especially after riding my work bmw RT for 3 years....what’s the best aftermarket suspension setup. I’ve seen Ohlins, and progressive on here.

Am I the only one who thinks after spending 26k on a bike, the suspension should be premium quality lol

I said the same thing... check out fourth post on this thread! Ha!

I can’t speak for progressive. Never tried them. The Ohlins are night and day compared to the cheap Harley premium shocks. Rides like a Cadillac now!

I said the same thing... check out fourth post on this thread! Ha!

I can’t speak for progressive. Never tried them. The Ohlins are night and day compared to the cheap Harley premium shocks. Rides like a Cadillac now!

Now that’s something I can get with, riding like a Cadillac!!!! Thanks!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith