SENA Calvary Helmet

Mojo

Administrator
Dec 6, 2013
Anyone tried the new SENA Calvary half helmet? My dealer gave me a demo the other day:
Integrated speakers and mic is built into forehead rim. Bluetooth and noise cancelling and is good for intercom use to up to 4 other helmets to a 1/2 mile range!

https://youtu.be/LtZnQs_a6hc

I bought one recently. I don't wear a helmet normally, but needed a new one for interstate travel. My ancient one was pretty ratty, even though it had been sitting in the basement for a couple of decades.
My buddy Bob decided to buy one too. We've tested them a couple of times and they seem to work pretty well. I'm actually surprised by how well they work. Another friend has a Sena 20 setup on his helmet and our Calvary helmets synced up with him no problem. All three helmets were connected via the intercom. My iPhone6 synced up no problem.
I haven't used it enough to get comfortable with the button sequences for changing modes or smothly answering the phone calls. I just can't make myself wear a helmet often enough. But, I think it does what it claims, can't swear to the intercom distance of 1/2 mile though. However, Bob dropped pretty far back one time and we could still communicate. Obviously the faster you're going the more wind noise is going to limit the ability to hear clearly.
One "issue" I've noted; it doesn't have a mute button. This means that I was listening to Bob's stereo speakers being picked up by his helmet microphone until I got sick of it and disconnected.
One other note; the charging port is on the outside of the helmet shell, under a rubber gromet on the button housing. I can see the buttons staying waterproof for a long time, and maybe the charging port will too. But with constantly removing the gromet to charge and that rubber drying in a couple of years, it seems the charging port should have been inside the helmet shell.

Last edited:
I bought one recently. I don't wear a helmet normally, but needed a new one for interstate travel. My ancient one was pretty ratty, even though it had been sitting in the basement for a couple of decades.
My buddy Bob decided to buy one too. We've tested them a couple of times and they seem to work pretty well. I'm actually surprised by how well they work. Another friend has a Sena 20 setup on his helmet and our Calvary helmets synced up with him no problem. All three helmets were connected via the intercom. My iPhone6 synced up no problem.
I haven't used it enough to get comfortable with the button sequences for changing modes or smothly answering the phone calls. I just can't make myself wear a helmet often enough. But, I think it does what it claims, can't swear to the intercom distance of 1/2 mile though. However, Bob dropped pretty far back one time and we could still communicate. Obviously the faster you're going the more wind noise is going to limit the ability to hear clearly.
One "issue" I've noted; it doesn't have a mute button. This means that I was listening to Bob's stereo speakers being picked up by his helmet microphone until I got sick of it and disconnected.
One other note; the charging port is on the outside of the helmet shell, under a rubber gromet on the button housing. I can see the buttons staying waterproof for a long time, and maybe the charging port will too. But with constantly removing the gromet to charge and that rubber drying in a couple of years, it seems the charging port should have been inside the helmet shell.

I don't think they expect most people to rock that helmet for decades since they recommend replacing it every 3-5 years (I don't follow that rule either)

But I have a cena on my old full face that I used for a few years and the cover still works fine and seems to block any real amount of moisture out of it. The way it's designed helps since the water rarely hits that part with riding or sitting in rain.

I like that they made a half helmet for those of us that don't want a mushroom head. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoHam- Good Review, it looks promising to me and I might get one. I can buy for $297.50 not $350.

Anyone tried the new SENA Calvary half helmet? My dealer gave me a demo the other day:
Integrated speakers and mic is built into forehead rim. Bluetooth and noise cancelling and is good for intercom use to up to 4 other helmets to a 1/2 mile range!

https://youtu.be/LtZnQs_a6hc

Yeah, I've got one. Previously had the SMH10. The functionality works well - I think for the person on the other end I think the Calvary is better than the SMH10 (on a half helmet). My only problem is fit. There are two bumps inside the helmet at the temples that press hard on my head. I wore it for about an hour and my head was killing. I'm considering filing those out (a friend did that to his).

If your group uses a sena com system (and you ride in a small group - I believe only 4 or 5 com's can connect) I'd recommend this helmet- the integrated com system makes the price justifiable.

Yeah, I've got one. Previously had the SMH10. The functionality works well - I think for the person on the other end I think the Calvary is better than the SMH10 (on a half helmet). My only problem is fit. There are two bumps inside the helmet at the temples that press hard on my head. I wore it for about an hour and my head was killing. I'm considering filing those out (a friend did that to his).

If your group uses a sena com system (and you ride in a small group - I believe only 4 or 5 com's can connect) I'd recommend this helmet- the integrated com system makes the price justifiable.

That's what I was thinking eberky. Perhaps those lumps inside are the speakers? If I buy I'll be real aware of this issue before I purchase.

That's what I was thinking eberky. Perhaps those lumps inside are the speakers? If I buy I'll be real aware of this issue before I purchase.

They can be cut/filed/sanded out - a friend of mine used a dremel on his. I just haven't gotten around to doing mine yet.

I like what I see and it is a good substitute for a CB when doing group rides if 2 or more have them linked.

Mojo - I ended up just pushing into the styrofoam. No need to cut into it. Works just fine. But, still gives me mushroom head - but I like my dot (looks like a novelty) carbon fiber helmet.

Are the speakers located in the actual helmet? Seems like a cool idea. I used to always have Bluetooth in my helmet but now like the excuse to not answer when I'm out riding.

Ok cool and how's the mushroom head level? I had a bell rogue ( and was going to add a sena Bluetooth) and it was HORRIBLE so I returned it

Ok cool and how's the mushroom head level? I had a bell rogue ( and was going to add a sena Bluetooth) and it was HORRIBLE so I returned it

That's the only thing I don't like about it. But, I have a small head though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
properMisfit