Upgrade 2017

looks like its going to be a good starting point for some killer power. Cant wait to see some one do a build and see what the cases and crank can hold. those 4v heads should flow a lot better. I guess I will wait and let HD work the bugs out . Also wait and see if EPA going to ban the fuel tuners.lol

Sounds like some interested Customers... Who's First !?!?
They say new shocks.. looks like same to me, the old dial.. Engine looks pretty cool..
My '14 is still rock solid and paid off.. would be hard to upgrade but... they sure are Purdy !

So, Harley has a Bluetooth headset (sena 20s) on sale- with promises of hands free voice command and connections--- I like the engine improvements, but I'm pretty excited about really having full BT connectivity with the infotainment.

So, Harley has a Bluetooth headset (sena 20s) on sale- with promises of hands free voice command and connections--- I like the engine improvements, but I'm pretty excited about really having full BT connectivity with the infotainment.

Never mind- I'm not that excited now : "Bluetooth® headset is not compatible with Harley-Davidson® Original Equipment Boom!™ Box in-dash infotainment systems."

boo.

It's true about the Milwaukee 8- says the 107 will be in touring, 114 in CVOs, w/new front and rear suspension. I read a lot about the motor- pretty much all new and it looks fantastic. Runs cooler due to 4 valves and increased oil passages, with a 55mm throttle body and a single 4- lobe cam. This is an all new advanced motor and it looks wicked. One thing I did notice, the oil blowback will no longer go into the throttle body- it will be routed into the transmission. My first thought was... no more Red Line w/shockproof in the tranny. Looks like the tranny fluid will have to be the same as the crankcase oil. Lovin my 2015 SGS, so I will wait until 2020 so they get the bugs worked out and the after market mods produced. This motor will be a game-changer.

BTW- the EPA will continue to use Gestapo tactics as long as they are supported by a crooked administration. Just sayin.... November could also be a gamechanger.

Well the Dealer has an Open house this weekend with 10-12 new 17 Milwaukee 8's already there. Signing people up for test rides. Guess I'll go see what its ALL ABOUT!!

Milwaukee 8 . . . . . . . ZZzzzzzzz . . . . Seriously!
I'd be more impressed with the following:
How about free GPS map updates for the Boombox instead of raking u$$$$$?
And how about adding the headset and connector as standard on the SGS?
How about improving the Blue Tooth capabilities to 3.0 and adding more connectivity?
How about fixing the Boombox firmware and including QUALITY speakers as standard?
How about a wheel re design or at least chome'd wheels on the SGS?
How about STANDARD LED lighting all the way around including the headlight SG/SGS?
How about better safety/visibility on the rear with larger LED Tail lights and Stop/Brake feature to the rear fender light.
How about incorporating "end tip" front turn signals into the edge of the fairing?
How about a decent quality windscreen that actually curbs some buffeting?
How about a stock seat redesign with gel comfort as standard?
How about incorporating the 4 point dock system and mounting the shocks correctly at factory?

There . . . . I feel much better already !:rolleyes:

OH!!! I guess you'll wait then

Played my cards yesterday and traded my 2015 FLHX for a new 2016 FLHXS.
So now I'm runnin with the big kids

Last edited:
Milwaukee 8 . . . . . . . ZZzzzzzzz . . . . Seriously!
I'd be more impressed with the following:
How about free GPS map updates for the Boombox instead of raking u$$$$$?
And how about adding the headset and connector as standard on the SGS?
How about improving the Blue Tooth capabilities to 3.0 and adding more connectivity?
How about fixing the Boombox firmware and including QUALITY speakers as standard?
How about a wheel re design or at least chome'd wheels on the SGS?
How about STANDARD LED lighting all the way around including the headlight SG/SGS?
How about better safety/visibility on the rear with larger LED Tail lights and Stop/Brake feature to the rear fender light.
How about incorporating "end tip" front turn signals into the edge of the fairing?
How about a decent quality windscreen that actually curbs some buffeting?
How about a stock seat redesign with gel comfort as standard?
How about incorporating the 4 point dock system and mounting the shocks correctly at factory?

There . . . . I feel much better already !:rolleyes:

Wow, other than the two below, I couldn't care less about anything on this list. More power and much better handling of the 2017 is way more important IMO.

1. "How about better safety/visibility on the rear with larger LED Tail lights and Stop/Brake feature to the rear fender light."
2. "How about a decent quality windscreen that actually curbs some buffeting?"

Good for you ocezam- as you break in your new 2017 and enjoy the power and the suspension, pretty soon some of these other points will come to mind. As you get into the past threads here you'll see some of these line items discussed at length (speaker quality, buffeting, Boombox issues) and safety). These are things you'll wonder why are never addressed by the Motor Co. in light of what they charge you for the product. If not, that's OK too. Enjoy!

Good for you ocezam- as you break in your new 2017 and enjoy the power and the suspension, pretty soon some of these other points will come to mind. As you get into the past threads here you'll see some of these line items discussed at length (speaker quality, buffeting, Boombox issues) and safety). These are things you'll wonder why are never addressed by the Motor Co. in light of what they charge you for the product. If not, that's OK too. Enjoy!
You assume that because I'm new here, I'm new to Street Glides, Harleys or motorcycling in general. Incorrect assumption. 44 years riding, 30 years on Harleys, and about 5 on Street Glides. I'm also not new to biker forums, although I did just stumble upon this one. I've already read too many threads on the topics you raise.

Most of the items you've listed are easily changed by riders who want them. Most of them are not wanted by me. However, as an owner/rider I'm not able to redesign engines or suspension. These are what I rely on the factory for.

I doubt if I'll spend much time perusing past threads. There won't be much news there for me. I will be interested in the opinions of those that own this bike, and how their personal journeys with it proceed. I'll skip right over most of the posts and threads discussing upgrading the "infotainment", GPS, bluetooth, and most lighting issues. However I'll be very interested in modifications to the already great suspension and aftermarket cams, tuners etc. For instance, after a couple days on this bike, I think the fuel map sucks. With Harley paying, what-15 million?, to the EPA over their past tuner sales, I'm a bit concerned how their new tuners may function. This is an important issue for me.

Had the motor company left the engine and suspension alone, and focused it's attention to lighting, GPS, radios, etc, they may have made many riders happy. I wouldn't have been one of them. They've already addressed these issues many times since I bought my '08, and most of these improvement are great IMO. The improvements while welcomed, wouldn't have made me consider trading. All of the changes made in the "Project Rushmore" upgrade were nice but I didn't even bother to go see the bikes when they came out.

I never come back from a satisfying ride in the mountains thinking how much my ride was enhanced with stereos or lighting, or GPS, or how much better my new bags latch. But I do come back from a ride happy with my new cams, or my new shocks, or my new stabilizer kit. Heck, the radio in my last bike quit several years ago. I never cared to try to fix it.

IMO the 2017 is an incredible upgrade to the base motorcycle. The ancillary components can take care of themselves in each riders own way.

Peace....

Last edited:
The Rushmore's were a big change from the 2013 and earlier bikes, mainly in the frame and suspension. So, the new motor is a change from the twin cam, going back to a single cam, and going with 4-valve heads (something that Fueling and another company had for the Evo motors), and they upgraded the suspension some more, which is good. You did the right thing, enjoyed your bike for a good while before jumping on the next shiny object. 5 years is a short time for me to keep a bike, so I'm not going to run out and buy a 2017 for any reason. Now, ask me again in 2021.

So I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my 14 SG. Doing some research and saw the following blurb concerning the 2017 SG suspension;

"That’s right, no more leaky air shocks that need to be adjusted after every long haul or if it sits for a month or two. Also a nice feature, the new shocks offer 15 to 30 percent more pre-load adjustment than previous standard Touring shocks, with a single knob to hydraulically adjust pre-load."

So I figured maybe I'd replace my air shocks with these "new" premium shocks. When I went on the Harley site, they have the same part number for the shocks for the 2017 as they do for the 14,15,16 years. So does anyone know if the shocks are new or updated that are on the 2017 or are they the same ones that are previously on the StreetGlide Special models??

Upon further research I've discovered, Premium shock kit (both shocks) for model years 14-17 is P/N 54000091. In it are left shock 54000081 and right shock 54000082. Since Harley is advertising upgraded shocks and front suspension for the 2017 SG, it didn't make sense that the same shocks were in a kit for multiple years. I looked up a parts breakdown for the 17 SG and it showed different P/N for the shocks than whats listed above, 54000096 & 54000114. But there is no fitment data for those shocks.

So my logic is since the shock kit 091 fits 14 & 17 model years, then the individual shocks I found on the 17 parts list must also fit my 14 SG. I went to my Harley dealer, spoke to parts, service and sales and no one could confirm if they would fit or not I figure if I am going to upgrade from my current air shocks, I might as well get the newest and supposedly best shock available.

Can any of the smart people on this forum confirm what the HD dealer couldn't, is there any reason those shocks won't fit my bike??

I would not spend money on a 12" shock with 2" of travel if you want a good ride. Get the new shocks from an Ultra. They will be 13" and have 50% more travel. 13" is the standard length, Street Glides are lowered 1 inch.

I would not spend money on a 12" shock with 2" of travel if you want a good ride. Get the new shocks from an Ultra. They will be 13" and have 50% more travel. 13" is the standard length, Street Glides are lowered 1 inch.

thats good advice.....those shocks have the same issue as the 12", the PN for the 2017s are 54000093 & 94 and there is no fitment data that confirms they will fit the 2014. But I figure since they didn't make any changes to the frame, they have to fit. A representative from Boardtracker HD replied to my question and said they should fit but no one had tried it so he couldn't guarantee it.

Hulkss.....I'm still considering your other recommendation you gave to another post i had which was to get a used set of 13" air shocks from an ultra. There are a couple on ebay for pretty cheap. If you had the choice would you go used 13" air or the new 13" premium

If you want to stay H-D I'd try the new 13" premium. I went with Ohlins shocks because I always ride solo and H-D has to design for two-up riding. Ohlins are built to order as needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77