Fairing vibration after installing strongsrms?

f25069

Jun 29, 2022
I have had my bike for 2 months she is an 06 injected. She had all the typical issues and then some but got it for a steal of a deal. So when I replaced the radio I noticed the fairing supports were broke so I ordered and new strongarms and the speaker supports too. I also did 18” apes at the same time. Went for a test ride to see if the vibration was better an 150mes later it was still great. Then a few rides later the fairing was vibrating again like with the factory steel supports, so I popped the outter fairing off and the new supports are still intact and the bolts were tight. It vibrates so bad the windshield hits my bars anybody experienced this?

Attachments

• photo13561.jpg
    photo13561.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo13562.jpg
    photo13562.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1
No experience in this matter. But do you know if your bars can be pulled back a little? Any idea how the motor mounts look, are they the originals? When was the last time that the bike had a good tuneup? Just tossing out some ideas to eliminate the vibrations.

Reactions: BillyBob
Ok get some popcorn. The first thing I would check is the front end bearing swing test to see if front end is not swinging properly either front end bearing too loose or too tight. After that you need to check the rear wheel alignment from the rear axle to the transmission pivot shaft, as your year bike has individual rear axle adjuster make sure that alignment is correct. Then from there check the alignment of rear tire to front tire with rear wheel slightly off the ground. You can use a string and wrap it around the rear tire and then have the string held tight the proper alignment will have the string touching the front and rear of both tires. If that is off then you will have to loosen the three front motor mount bolts remove the upper engine turnbuckle bolt and then either turn the lower engine turnbuckle in or out so string touched the front and rear of both the front and rear tires keeping the front tire centered. Once you have proper alignment tighten lower turnbuckle nut and secure the three front motor mount bolts.( inspect the front motor mount while you are in the area) From there you need to make sure that the upper turnbuckle bolt falls freely through turnbuckle eye end and mounting bracket. When it does then tighten upper turnbuckle nut. A lot of people probably had their hands in this bike over the years. Good luck and let us know the final results

Reactions: BillyBob
Back from bathroom break. Also check the front tire pressure should be 36 psi and also check front tire threads for any cupping you can not undue tire cupping if it is present then you might want to replace front tire. If thread looks good then remove front brake calipers and perform an axel side to side check with a dial indicator to check for front wheel bearing side play. If that checks good slowly rotate front wheel with brake calipers off to check if the wheel bearings are showing any signs of binding. Try to perform these checks after you have risen the bike for a few miles this way the front wheel bearing grease is warm. The grease will thicken up when is cold and things might spear good when in fact they are not. I think I covered most checks. If I missed something I hope another member will chime in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tulsa