Gas Cap

I read a post that said a stant 10834 gas cap was the same size as stock cap. Checked it out, measured it including thread diameter, bought it at Walmart for 4.97.
Smooth as glass. Put it on and off with 1 hand in seconds. Now I really appreciate how bad my stock cap sucked.

So now my gas cap is acting up again I called the dealership and they said they are on back order till the 30th and might not come in then. They should have kept the Bayonnet push and twist style instead of screw type. (IMO)
Roadshark i'm goin' to Walmart!

Last edited:
I read a post that said a stant 10834 gas cap was the same size as stock cap. Checked it out, measured it including thread diameter, bought it at Walmart for 4.97.
Smooth as glass. Put it on and off with 1 hand in seconds. Now I really appreciate how bad my stock cap sucked.

I just went to Walmart and picked up the stant gas cap #10834 fits like a glove. Thanks Roadshark!

I too just went to my local Walmart (well, the nearest one that had it in stock) and picked up the Stant 10834 gas cap... It works perfectly, and for $2.50 it probably cost me less than the sandpaper would have been to grind down my HD one, and with any luck it won't swell over time like the HD ones seem to.

Keeping my fingers crossed this is the last time I have to replace the gas cap!

Thanks for starting this as I have the same problem, I filed the threads down as I had to take a lot off. Seems to be working ok now. Sanding the bottom 1/4 inch would do nothing as it doesnt contact this area till it bottoms, the threads start as soon as it is put in. Cant believe this as they have been making bikes for 110 years.

Do all gas caps operate the same? Or are there differences other than the thread pattern. If not, I'm headed to Walmart myself. I hate the damn thing. I wasn't sure it was going to go back on yesterday. I dread it every time I pull into the gas station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do all gas caps operate the same? Or are there differences other than the thread pattern. If not, I'm headed to Walmart myself. I hate the damn thing. I wasn't sure it was going to go back on yesterday. I dread it every time I pull into the gas station.

Negative, some are vented, some are not. Stick with the part number mentioned earlier from Stant.

Called my dealer (Worth HD in KcMo) said there's a Bulletin on it. Also said it'd literally take 2 minutes to replace. Actually have several in stock...thought I'd crossthreaded it..sh%t, that was close!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I had sanded mine earlier, and it made it much, much better, but I went ahead and threw a fiver at the Stant 10834 at Wally World.
It's perfect.

Thanks fellas I have a 2016 street glide special that I bought the beginning of June and every time I go to the gas station. My cap gets harder to take off and put back on. Like several other guys on here i thought I was putting it on wrong or something. This last time it took me about 15 minutes to get it back on. Now I have two issues for the dealer to fix.

I went to meet some people for a ride at my local dealership, Smoky Mountain H-D in Maryville TN. Ran into the owner at the store and he asked about my bike. I explained about the gas cap issue and he sent me straight to service for a new one. Took about 5-7 minutes and the new one goes in like butter. Was ready to go to Wally World and get the Stant but when H=D is giving me a free item, I will take it.

I chose the Walmart special. I spent my $5 today and it's smooth as silk. My dealer is 30 miles away. It would cost more than $5 to go pick it up. Very happy.

2016 street glide special. Had the same problem a few weeks ago, but hasn't occurred again since. Thanks for the info.

2016 street glide special. Had the same problem a few weeks ago, but hasn't occurred again since. Thanks for the info.

Oh... It will. I literally didn't think I was going to get it back on the last time. The Stant is perfect. I don't think the stock one ever worked like it does.

Got mine replaced by dealer for free when I took the bike in for the clutch recall.

I had an issue with my gas cap,funny thing is it work fine until about 1500 miles, but it got progressively worse, it got to the point where it was dammed near impossible to remove and then reinstall.. I took it to the dealer, and they said they have seen this quite often and expected a recall to be released. No idea of what caused this, but gave me a new gas cap, and no issues after a couple thousand miles.

Also had the impossible gas cap, just did the dremel and sandpaper trick and it works perfectly now,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta