Gas Cap

It is a shame that most dealerships are quick to take your money and slow to give customer service. On a POSITIVE note, the new gas cap they Cox's replaced is SMOOTH to take off and put back on, far better than the old gas cap even when it was new! :cool:

Harley has major issues with the 2016 gas caps. I recently upgraded (don't shoot me) to a 2016 Ultra Classic and had major issues with the gas cap. Went to my dealer and explained what was going on and just swapped out the cap with not issues. It was a dealer trade and they needed to check it over anyway. I was happy.

Took my bike to the dealer for some other work, mentioned the issue - first they had ever heard of it, said they would "take a look at it while it was there"

Update on this one, picked the bike up yesterday and they did replace it, seems easier now

Gas cap problem fix.

Gas cap problem fix.

Hey guys, I was curious and searched on here but found nothing...
Have any on you had problems with the gas cap being extremely hard to turn on or off the tank? I am having trouble with mine and so is a buddy. Both 2016 SGS.. When I first bought it back in November it was fine but here recently it has been hard to twist.

I had the same problem on my 2012 S.G. CVO and I am now having the same problem on my 2016 FLHXS. I went to Santa Fe Harley in N.M. and purchased a new cap. The problem is gone. The cap is very easy to remove and install . Perfect in over 1,000 miles and the cost was 15 dollars. The new cap was made in Mexico. I hope this will help you (JDP).

I have same issue. I have been aligning the start of the threads before I start turning and it goes on pretty easy then.

I went to my Harley dealer and they were out of gas caps.

However, I found a thread on the HD forum about this subject and the fix is very simple and you DO NOT need a new gas cap.

All you have to do is file or grind down the bottom diameter of the cap just below the threads and the cap will fit like butter. You only need to take off about ten thousandths, I did it with my bench grinder.

Took me less than 5 minutes.

I spoke to a HD service manager and his "off the record" recommendation was to take some 220 grit sandpaper to the treads of the gas cap since "the o-ring on the gas cap is what really seals it". I haven't tried it myself yet, but probably will.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

My gas cap has become a nightmare to undue and screw back on, going to take it by HD this week to see if I can get it replaced. Had a friend with a RG who had her whole cap break.

Don't touch the threads!

All you need to do is reduce the diameter slightly of the 1/4 inch area below the last thread.

It is so easy it is ridiculous.

I was having the same problem just take about 1/8" off the very bottom of the cap and it will screw right down on there.

Sounds like a simple enough solution, but being a warranty issue I'd rather (and I did) go down to the nearest dealer and get a replacement cap, rather than have to fix this myself. Especially since I imagine that, however unlikely, sanding/grinding the plastic of the gas cap (if not finished off correctly) could potentially allow plastic particulate to find it's way into the tank in the future.

I spoke to a HD service manager and his "off the record" recommendation was to take some 220 grit sandpaper to the treads of the gas cap since "the o-ring on the gas cap is what really seals it". I haven't tried it myself yet, but probably will.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Thank you! Worked like a charm!!

I have a 9/27/13 built SGS. I've not had this gas cap problem, I wonder if they changed vendors or have multiples?

I just stopped by my dealer and they switched it out no problem, seem to be a common problem, they said the cap gets swollen. Who knows, but they where well aware and said there wasn't a recall. New cap is much smoother like it supposed to be.

Wow. I can't believe I found this thread. My gas cap is stupidly hard to turn. I thought I was cross threading it yesterday. I stopped and re started turning it about four times. What a dumb thing to screw up HD. Glad to hear it's covered. Now to see if my dealer has a clue (so far...not impressed). Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be heading to the dealer as well. The first time I filled the tank without a problem. Its been downhill from there. It took about six tries yesterday to get it back on.

I did not want to do a 2 hour round trip to the dealer for a gas cap. Did what was recommended on this thread and sanded as detailed with 220 grit sandpaper. Cleaned all dust from cap and reinstalled. 3 minute fix and threads easy now. Thanks to the DIYer that figured this fix.

Ugh... Less than 2 months since getting my replacement, and the replacement must have 'swollen' as it is giving me the same problem again. Looks like the sanding solution may be the only real solution! I'll give it a shot this weekend.

As I stated in a previous post, you do not need to sand all of the threads.

The problem is the last quarter inch of the cap at the bottom, just sand that portion of the cap to reduce it's diameter slightly and it will go on like butter.

If it takes more than a few minutes you are doing something wrong.

Wow, I can't believe I've been dealing with this problem for nearly a year. My 2015 has been hard to remove and install since shortly after I bought it. My friend also has a 2015 and his cap turns like butter. I always thought it was just me not getting things lined up correctly before installing the cap.

Thanks for the DIY fix, I'll try it out tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller