From ________ to Streetglide?

05 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
10356419_10205347341749889_273434730886107327_n.jpg
11 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero
10395808_10204371455544737_4969428944745349608_n.jpg
14 FLHX
80-10959180_815642861841522_367615388_n_576365dab86451d47ede55b187c2e72caeb68730.jpg

Last edited:
element 80; two questions.

What made you go from the Vulcan to the SG? I am wondering because I considered the Vaquero when I bought my SG. For me it came down to having more options with aftermarket parts and I liked the looks of the SG.

Did you go with a antenna relocation kit to work with the luggage rack on your 14 SG? it looked like the antenna was different from stock.

thank you.

How many of us recall owning a non Harley and having to wait a lifetime for ANYTHING you needed to keep it running or repaired?
I remember needing tires for my 2 year old Kawasaki and the parts guys spent 20 minutes trying to find the size. Impatiently I walked out to the showroom and got the sizes right off a new one and took them back to these two "noodle heads" only to be told minutes later they would have to be ordered and it would be 2 weeks! ! !

What made you go from the Vulcan to the SG? I am wondering because I considered the Vaquero when I bought my SG. For me it came down to having more options with aftermarket parts and I liked the looks of the SG.

Did you go with a antenna relocation kit to work with the luggage rack on your 14 SG? it looked like the antenna was different from stock.

thank you.

I was torn between the Vaquero and the Street Glide when I bought mine last year. For me the decision was made after I rode them both. Hands down the Street Glide felt like it had more power, better handling and better brakes. Not to mention that it has a lower seat height and was not as wide (Which is kind of a big deal for a short guy like me), and there were a lot more color choices with HD. Buying a Harley was a huge step for me and I don't regret it at all.

Mojo I had the same experience. Year before last it was time to replace the tires on my boulevard. It came with white walls but I wanted wide whites in the worst way. I go to the local shop (thinking they would be able to help) and much to my surprise he could only find black walls in the correct size. I ended up having to bring in a JP cycles catalog with my tires in it so he could at least get OE tires. He then asked if I minded if he kept the catalog... umm.. yea bud, go ahead. In their defense it was a small local shop and a new business. I ended up going with the same tires that were on it but they did a great job for a good price.

Thanks Motorbulldog.

I did not get the chance to look at one in person before my purchase but I watched some online reviews and they stated the same things that you did.

thank you

I was torn between the Vaquero and the Street Glide when I bought mine last year. For me the decision was made after I rode them both. Hands down the Street Glide felt like it had more power, better handling and better brakes. Not to mention that it has a lower seat height and was not as wide (Which is kind of a big deal for a short guy like me), and there were a lot more color choices with HD. Buying a Harley was a huge step for me and I don't regret it at all.

When I bought the Vaquero, it was after months of research. I had narrowed my options down to Cross Country, Vaquero, and Road Glide Custom.

I found that Vaquero in Greenville TX and paid $12,520 out the door (that included tax). It had better electronics than the Victory, better suspension than the harley, more storage than the harley, better dash than the harley - and it was a fixed fairing which is what I really wanted...at the end of the day it was just plain cheaper, and had a 3 year warranty - and that paint....you had to see it in the sun, cameras never did it justice.

How many of us recall owning a non Harley and having to wait a lifetime for ANYTHING you needed to keep it running or repaired?
I remember needing tires for my 2 year old Kawasaki and the parts guys spent 20 minutes trying to find the size. Impatiently I walked out to the showroom and got the sizes right off a new one and took them back to these two "noodle heads" only to be told minutes later they would have to be ordered and it would be 2 weeks! ! !

I was tired of dealing with Lawnmower repair men when I needed to get warranty work done or service work done. Even indy shops were retarded when dealing with my bike - like because it didn't say harley on the tank, it was some kind of alien machine that was different to work on....for example a shop tried to charge me 800 dollars to replace rear brake pads....

thank you.

The Vulcan wasn't without it's problems. heat, sluggish motor during the summer, it was a heavy beast and ate through tires....I loved it though, ran a 205/60R16 on the rear and traded it 2 yrs after I bought it for 2k less than I paid for it. Added apes, exhaust air kits, tune, custom paint, windshields, seats..grips and on and on....I had Bluetooth stereo before any of my harley riding buds...

The paint tore up real bad after 1 year, had to fight with kawasaki about it but they finally replaced all my plastics including the outer fairing and saddlebags. The paint looked great but was terrible quality. I had lots of front end wobble and issue...It went through 4 sets of front wheel bearings in 40k miles...one time I was going down the road and didn't have front brakes, because the bearings were so bad, the wheel was moving left and right pushing the calipers apart...

Then in the middle of a 6k mile road trip, when I got to Denver it started to tick (like noisy lifters) and the gear position indicator went out - I called 3 Kawasaki shops and no one would help....**** i still had warranty

Now I was on the trip with a Bro that had a '14 SGS...at one point in the mountains he passed me...I was wide open, and the only other bikes that had passed me to this point were vtx1800 and kawasaki vulcan 2000...and a few sport bikes of course...also when we got to the harley shop he needed a 5k service....they started in on "ok when do you want to bring in your bike?" he said =-we're on the road and I live in Louisiana ... the harely service guy interrupted him " john come get this streetglide, we're doing a 5k service on it right now....just stop with that bike we have to get it done today".....you know that kind of service, I've seen it repeated at most of the harley dealers i've visited....out of the Victory Xcountry, Roadglide and Vaquero, I liked the xcountry best in ride, ergo, seat, and handling...the harley was 2nd and the vaquero was 3rd...but the vaquero was 1/2 as much as the harley....

I called my dad, complained about the Kawasaki problems, my bro was already getting his bike serviced and dad said "why don't you go trade it for a harley?" I said I didn't have the money, and asked if he was going to pay the difference? He said "yeah I'll cash out a CD and give you 15 grand" -, ...So the 15 roadglides had just been put together, and I wanted one....a special...but the stealers wanted 38 out the door...I was like ITS NOT A CVO~! but I was looking anyway...figured if dad gave me 15 grand it would work out...well, he didn't do that but I did buy the harley.....the '14 streetglide (standard) was sitting there with 200 demo ride miles on the odo. just waiting to be riddedn.... bought her that day, picked up my ol lady from the airport, rode to the top of pikes peak and proposed....

I miss the fixed fairing, I miss the wind protection, and the extra storage....I miss the color...kinda... I miss having a paid for vehicle.....that's all....really happy with the harley, and I talked a lot of **** through the years....my Vaquero was set up and hot running....I raced many a CVO 110 and built 95s, 107s and smoked them....But my harley is running better than the Kaw at the moment, and the warranty seems to be working ( they have had to replace my horn 3 times)

I guess I should say I went from Kaw to Harley for 3 reasons

1. dealer network / warranty support
2. rushmore (saddlebag latches, aerodynamics, bluetooth stereo)
3. better handling and availability of motor upgrades

i still miss my vaquero, but as of right now I am very happy with the harley

Last edited:
element80- There are many stories like yours . . . . now that I think of it, the paint was pretty skimpy on my Kawi too!

element80- There are many stories like yours . . . . now that I think of it, the paint was pretty skimpy on my Kawi too!

yeah, then I went and got a Denim bike....no buffing out scratches for me....- if it tears up now at least I have the excuse of no clear...

Did everyone on here choose the Streetglide from other Harleys or did anyone come from metrics? I am looking at a SG or RG and I ride a Vstar1300. What should I expect that would be different from my current ride? I definitely am looking forward to 6th gear and the aftermarket world! I love to customize and my Yamaha doesn't have anything special unless I want a to look like a total Harley knock off.

The new Roadglides have better fairing storage and should be smoother on the highway

other than that it's the same bike ST/RG

I like where they put the nav on the RG....

The new Roadglides have better fairing storage and should be smoother on the highway

other than that it's the same bike ST/RG

I like where they put the nav on the RG....

element80- Its all a matter of personal choice. Basically the "new" Roadglide IS a Streetglide with a different fairing for the most part.
They say if you take a lot of long trips, the Road Glide is the way to go handling wise. I am one who is NOT a big fan of the new fairing plus I don't do many long trips. I think the SG / SGS is the best looking bagger in the lineup . . . but that's only my .02 cents!

I came from a 2005 American Iron Horse Tejas as my custom. I still have my 2013 Kawasaki ZX1400R for Drag racing. I thought I had a keeper with my Tejas but after owning my SGS for year I recently sold my custom. Beautiful bike strong bike. Drives like a dump truck was a rigid. Never new how much fun and comfort you could have with a HD.
92e9fa04cb3e654a3900bf658c137040.jpg
cd5ec33046465677206fbb4069feabe7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From a 2011 StreetBob to a 2015 StreetGlide
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have had many bikes over the years... a couple of metrics and the rest Harleys.
I would say you will notice the bike is bigger.. has a fairing with lots of doodads and such. It will shift a bit clunkier but it will be very positive in feel. You will feel more torque and I will bet the smile will be hard to contain...
in the last 15 years I have had on 02 Heritage "still have it" an 05 Roadglide I traded for a 12 Streetglide.. of the glides I like them both but the technology and the 103 engine are hard to beat. The Roadglide handles the wind better being the fairing is frame mounted. The fairing on the RG also feels like everything is a mile away when reaching for the radio /cd etc. They all take some tweeking to get them to fit you the way you want but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way.. JMHO

I came from a 2005 American Iron Horse Tejas as my custom. I still have my 2013 Kawasaki ZX1400R for Drag racing. I thought I had a keeper with my Tejas but after owning my SGS for year I recently sold my custom. Beautiful bike strong bike. Drives like a dump truck was a rigid. Never new how much fun and comfort you could have with a HD.
92e9fa04cb3e654a3900bf658c137040.jpg
cd5ec33046465677206fbb4069feabe7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dig that Iron Horse though! Nice looking bike.

About to sell my first bike 03 sporty with buell 1200 to get my first SG
7c40a7c54df724bd78953a4d4f58eee4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067