FP3, The Auto-Tune Process Explained

Anyone have an autotune fail? I was riding this weekend, had a pretty decent map going where I had a nice collection on green cells in almost all areas. Then it rained all night during the trip. The next morning my bike stumbled and almost killed after about 5% throttle. I thought maybe I should upload now, due to the rain, etc and maybe have pulled in some water or something in the air cleaner. So I flashed that map and completed the auto tune. That stumble was still there. Typically only at start up and at highway speeds didn't notice it. But the bike didn't feel as powerful. So after a two more stops I decided to go backwards and pick a previously flashed map. As soon as I did that, the bike woke back up and the stubble and power came back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its not uncommon to 'lose' connection when the FP3 is plugged into the scoot. I have had a few friends that had an issue like this, including myself at one time. Not sure what causes it, but it does happen. I remember unplugging it, cleaning the connectors and reconnecting... that was it

It didn't seem like that. Once I went back to an older version it woke back up. It's like that auto tune was bad. But it's all happy again now. I'll just delete that map and start a new.

It didn't seem like that. Once I went back to an older version it woke back up. It's like that auto tune was bad. But it's all happy again now. I'll just delete that map and start a new.

Weird...corrupted maybe by intermittent connection.... recheck your connection and clean it.... don't want it happening again....

FP3, The Auto-Tune Process Explained

4690eecd180d8e684b8ae8d4fcd7bbb0.jpg

My auto tune from this past Friday. I decided to finish the tune and when I hit finish, the Ap said to turn the bike off first. So I turned the bike off and back on with the ignition (lost and then regained blue tooth connection) and the grid went all white...? A blank slate. Is this common and did it work? I went ahead and flashed and the bike seems to run better but this crushed my confidence in what seemed like an awesome AT session. Should I have killed the bike with the On off switch? Btw, there is an auto tune in slot 3 when there was not before so I know it saved something. Any help appreciated.

2012 Street Glide FLHX in Big Blue Pearl
Fuel Moto Jackpot 2-1-2 header
Ness Big Sucker
CFR slip-ons
Vance and Hines FP3

Last edited:
you finished the tune, so it's perfectly normal!

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI NXT-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

You can name your Auto tune sessions and save them into memory slots if you like.
You can also do a continuing Auto tune but just know it does not automatically go to the ECM. That
is a manual process.

I see this is an old thread but it is something i have a real interest in. I just went stage one on my Glide with Bassani DnT Sipons and a K&N High Flow filter. I decided to give the FP3 a shot and installed it but there arent really an maps for my specific setup. I was wondering how good the Autotune really is?

Call v and h fp3 tech line .. You can access it through the fp3. Tell them the pipes and air cleaner you have and they can tell you what canned map to start with and go from there. If your not happy with the map then auto tune that map

I did send them an email since they are on the west coast and 3 hours behind me. Thanks for the input though.

If I dont hear back soon I probably will call but right now I have generic map loaded and it seems to be running good, but then I have only put a hundred or so miles on it since I installed the new mufflers and FP3.

Muskie,

Typically you will try and find a V&H exhaust that is close to the one on your bike and start there. Autotune and ride it varying load and RPM. Look back through the thread and you will find a lot of good info on the autotune process.

Good luck and congrats on the FP3. I love mine.

If I dont hear back soon I probably will call but right now I have generic map loaded and it seems to be running good, but then I have only put a hundred or so miles on it since I installed the new mufflers and FP3.

I have a similar set up to Muskie with LA Chopper Tru-power 4" slipons, stock head pipe with CAT, and a K&N air filter in the stock airbox. When I called V&H they recommended the V&H twin slash rounds map. It worked well as is and I have since autotuned 2 or 3 times and it runs really well now without any decel pop. I just ran across a great deal on a Ness Big Sucker A/C that I plan on installing when it arrives so I did the online chat with V&H to see what map they recommend for the set up above but replacing the stock A/C with the big sucker. I was surprised when they told me the same thing, use the twin slash round map again?? When I questioned him about it he said that the maps assume you have a high flow filter already and that the FP3 adapted to my stock A/C. To me this just didn't sound right but I have not received my new A/C yet to test it but I guess I'll just do what V&H said unless you guys have any better suggestions. I started to think maybe the big sucker was a waste of money because it doesn't flow any better than stock. I started looking at some Dyno sheets on Fuel moto website and compared bone stock 77.66hp/92.17ft-lbs to a stock exhaust system plus an A/C and dyno jet tuner that was 83.04hp/95.71ft-lbs. So does this prove that the an aftermarket A/C and a tuner adds to the performance or would a tuner alone added to the stock A/C be the same since it is supposed to flow so good stock? I also looked at what I believe will be similar to my setup after adding the big sucker to my bike. It was stock head pipe, V&H slipons, Pro moto A/C and dyno jet tuner at 85.06hp/104.14ft-lbs, should I expect to be close to this set up?

When I loaded my FP3 onto my M8, I rode it for a coupe of weeks first before doing an auto tune. Once I did the Stage ll, I did it again but first went into edit map mode and selected a cam to start the Auto tune with. Many people are happy with just a map and never do an auto tune.

I have a similar set up to Muskie with LA Chopper Tru-power 4" slipons, stock head pipe with CAT, and a K&N air filter in the stock airbox. When I called V&H they recommended the V&H twin slash rounds map. It worked well as is and I have since autotuned 2 or 3 times and it runs really well now without any decel pop. I just ran across a great deal on a Ness Big Sucker A/C that I plan on installing when it arrives so I did the online chat with V&H to see what map they recommend for the set up above but replacing the stock A/C with the big sucker. I was surprised when they told me the same thing, use the twin slash round map again?? When I questioned him about it he said that the maps assume you have a high flow filter already and that the FP3 adapted to my stock A/C. To me this just didn't sound right but I have not received my new A/C yet to test it but I guess I'll just do what V&H said unless you guys have any better suggestions. I started to think maybe the big sucker was a waste of money because it doesn't flow any better than stock. I started looking at some Dyno sheets on Fuel moto website and compared bone stock 77.66hp/92.17ft-lbs to a stock exhaust system plus an A/C and dyno jet tuner that was 83.04hp/95.71ft-lbs. So does this prove that the an aftermarket A/C and a tuner adds to the performance or would a tuner alone added to the stock A/C be the same since it is supposed to flow so good stock? I also looked at what I believe will be similar to my setup after adding the big sucker to my bike. It was stock head pipe, V&H slipons, Pro moto A/C and dyno jet tuner at 85.06hp/104.14ft-lbs, should I expect to be close to this set up?

Well I installed my Big Sucker AC this weekend and downloaded the V&H twin slash rounds map as suggested by V&H and I have to say it runs pretty damn good! I can definitely tell a difference in power and you can hear the thing sucking in air, I guess that's why it is the big sucker! So far I'm pretty happy with the suggested map. I'll probably run it as is for a tank or two and then do an autotune to see if it can get any better.

Rev, I'll add that you can also use the dyno with your FP3 in auto tune mode to help you with populating the cells in your tune by paying close attention to which cells and what throttle positions on your FP3 graph are in need of work. If you then pull up the TPS monitor feature of your FP3 and let's say for example, you need a lot of work in the 5% TPS column; you would hold the throttle steady at 5% and let the engine rev all the way to redline. Then repeat this process for all other areas of your tune where work is needed and you will speed up the process of populating the cells that are in need of attention. I learned this from my buddy who used to own a dyno. This is what we did on my bike with my Thundermax in auto tune mode. I actually sat on my bike and rode it on the dyno while my buddy stood next to me to coach me along. If you have no dyno available to you, then you will have to find a nice long stretch of road (preferably one with no traffic) and attempt the above procedure as best you can to help populate the cells.
Long deserted road... In Italy? You must be kidding me... Huahuahuahua [emoji6]

Inviato dal mio BLA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

Installed my FP3 on Saturday evening. Went riding for about an hour or so and WOW! What a difference. I am running RCX 4.5" mufflers and went with the OS slip-on canned map for now. Massive change from stock ECM program. Can't wait to dive in a little more and get the urge to fine tune more.

I just put on RH slimline Duals and RH 4" slipons and got myself an FP3. I bought the high flow baffles and will install them Friday. I've got a canned map on there right now "V&H twin slash round with power duals" and will likely run the AT once I move to the high flow baffles.

Question - Can I just leave the FP3 on my bike indefinitely and run autotune applying every few weeks? Or is that not recommended?

I just put on RH slimline Duals and RH 4" slipons and got myself an FP3. I bought the high flow baffles and will install them Friday. I've got a canned map on there right now "V&H twin slash round with power duals" and will likely run the AT once I move to the high flow baffles.

Question - Can I just leave the FP3 on my bike indefinitely and run autotune applying every few weeks? Or is that not recommended?

Yes I've never taken mine off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77