FP3, The Auto-Tune Process Explained

AT after a ride today:
a65bd27a184f468607641dacd8270ed6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT after a ride today:
a65bd27a184f468607641dacd8270ed6.jpg

Good start... now concentrate on hitting the orange cells on the table to make them learns and turn green

You are light on your throttle... twist it!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good start... now concentrate on hitting the orange cells on the table to make them learns and turn green

You are light on your throttle... twist it!!

Hmmm, thought I was!
Guess I need a better understanding the 'throttle position'??

Its all about throttle position and rpm high and low. It was harder for me to get the lower rpms then the higher ones. You have to take it to the rev limiter a few times and yes it was hard for me to start but got used to it. Pretty sure I used over 20 tanks of fuel to get my tune done.

Hmmm, thought I was!
Guess I need a better understanding the 'throttle position'??

What I meant was, by looking at your table.... you have not really 'opened her up' with heavy throttle from 2000 rpms and up.... you have 75% of the 15%TPS range covered up to 4000 rpms.... 20%-100% TPS from 2000 rpms on up tp 5500 rpms are what you need to focus on.

I would venture to say this may be out of your 'comfort zone'...or.... style of riding.... That's ok though.... you can still do it.

You know this as well.... the tune is ONLY as good as the Dyno Tech.....:cool:
Spazz I asked you to further explain your message to me, because of my English I don't get it right... Could you please expand a little more your phrase? Do you intend that fp3 autotune is as good as the dyno or the contrary? Thank you for your patience I appreciate it.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI NXT-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

Spazz, Thanks for the best information I've ever seen from your post on 4-15 how auto tune works. 100% makes sense to me awesome wording and explanation .

Spazz I asked you to further explain your message to me, because of my English I don't get it right... Could you please expand a little more your phrase? Do you intend that fp3 autotune is as good as the dyno or the contrary? Thank you for your patience I appreciate it.

A dyno tune is more accurate...but... that depends on how good the tech is at tuning your bike.

The FP3 is a great tuner, and can be used by a tech on a dyno... if they know h is to use it.... and there lies the problem.... they don't have the experience with the fp3.

ok thank you... I think the blame is on V&H... they should detail a comprehensive and clear technical handbook for power user

Rev, I'll add that you can also use the dyno with your FP3 in auto tune mode to help you with populating the cells in your tune by paying close attention to which cells and what throttle positions on your FP3 graph are in need of work. If you then pull up the TPS monitor feature of your FP3 and let's say for example, you need a lot of work in the 5% TPS column; you would hold the throttle steady at 5% and let the engine rev all the way to redline. Then repeat this process for all other areas of your tune where work is needed and you will speed up the process of populating the cells that are in need of attention. I learned this from my buddy who used to own a dyno. This is what we did on my bike with my Thundermax in auto tune mode. I actually sat on my bike and rode it on the dyno while my buddy stood next to me to coach me along. If you have no dyno available to you, then you will have to find a nice long stretch of road (preferably one with no traffic) and attempt the above procedure as best you can to help populate the cells.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennessee.Scott
If you then pull up the TPS monitor feature of your FP3 and let's say for example, you need a lot of work in the 5% TPS column; you would hold the throttle steady at 5% and let the engine rev all the way to redline.

Didn't know you could pull up the TPS monitor screen while in Auto Tune mode!

I never got to use my FP3 in auto tune mode, but my brother has one on his 2017 CVO and he just showed me the other day that he could access his TPS position. Most tuners should allow for this.

Last edited:
FP3, The Auto-Tune Process Explained

My second AT ride. Having a bit of trouble with the 3% TPS 2300+ RPM area.
b7d8f69278a09dbfdfe44b11eb33c827.jpg

My second AT ride. Having a bit of trouble with the 3% TPS 2300+ RPM area.
b7d8f69278a09dbfdfe44b11eb33c827.jpg

work on the 15-100% tps from 2000 up to redline... the ORANGE

work on the 15-100% tps from 2000 up to redline... the ORANGE

Trying. One of my questions though, is how do you get higher rpms with the lower tps? Seems when I let up on the throttle, the speed and rpm drops.

You basically need to find a never ending straight stretch of road and hold the throttle at the lower TPS setting. It will eventually reach redline, but you will be well in the triple digits by the time you get there. This way is risky though because you will be going fast enough to earn a huge fine if you should happen to get caught. That's where a dyno can save you from possibly getting that huge fine for speeding. Maybe your local shop will let you rent their dyno to ride on. It shouldn't cost anywhere near what a tune would because they won't be tuning the bike, you will, by being in auto tune mode and simply riding.

Trying. One of my questions though, is how do you get higher rpms with the lower tps? Seems when I let up on the throttle, the speed and rpm drops.

Lower Tps and high rpms are not going to be doable unless you have a long decline road....work on the 15% and above from 1750-5800rpms... useable range

You basically need to find a never ending straight stretch of road and hold the throttle at the lower TPS setting. It will eventually reach redline, but you will be well in the triple digits by the time you get there. This way is risky though because you will be going fast enough to earn a huge fine if you should happen to get caught. That's where a dyno can save you from possibly getting that huge fine for speeding. Maybe your local shop will let you rent their dyno to ride on. It shouldn't cost anywhere near what a tune would because they won't be tuning the bike, you will, by being in auto tune mode and simply riding.

Yep, looks like the dyno will be my best (and safest) route. Thanks for your input.
Or just stick with the VH canned map.

The highway I use is basically deserted on weekdays. I'll go from 30 to 80 in 4th thru 6th gear at different throttle positions. This allows me to get full throttle at comparatively lower rpm and mid throttle at high rpm

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77